71 RS - abandoned 23 years

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

Nicely organized. That’s 90%. I wish I still had my 71 rs.

2. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Getting fenders, hood and trunk lid back on for a second and final spraying of the exterior. Though not very shiny (extensively sanded to remove nibs) it gives a general idea what Christine will look like after the final spraying. Hood and trunk lid alignment is needed

The single piece spoiler looks great..!! Prefer this over the 3-piece for the lower profile,cleaner, not covering the upper half of the rear qtr and obstructing the body line.
    100_7826.JPG

100_7818.JPG
    100_7819.JPG

100_7820.JPG

100_7821.JPG
    The sandalwood painted cowl surrounds the engine compartment with the same color
    100_7822.JPG 100_7825.JPG

3. Chuck71RS

Trunk lid adjusted. During install saw damage along the outer edge
    ---LH - concave edge with a small high spot at the very back.
    100_7845.JPG
    --- RH had some concave and more high area.

LH concave was raised with a mound of bed sheet under the edge and pressing down on the back. Did the same on the RH. About a 90% result.
    LH
    100_7853.JPG
    RH: Some high areas still shows
    100_7854.JPG

100_7855.JPG 100_7856.JPG 100_7857.JPG 100_7858.JPG

Still aligning the front panels. Hood is now level with the fender and a arc from door edge, to fender to hood. Still some adjustments needed at the front header. The tip broke off during attaching it to a vertical support. Fortunately the hood stainless steel trim covers the missing area
    100_7868.JPG
    Test fit of the rocker trim panels. Taken after holes for two fastener holes were drilled into the patch panel at the front wheel well
    100_7873.JPG

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  4. Chuck71RS

Completely redesigned interior: After the piecemeal mishmash mess, a completely redesigned interior has emerged and the changes are extensive
    • New color, except what is black
    • Insulated (2 layers) overhead with 1/2" of closed cell foam
    • Single piece headliner, which will be attached to the overhead ccf.
    • New carpet. Prefer Essex but if cutpile still the best color match then install cutpile
    • Package tray overlay with a layer of wood with headliner material on it
    • Overhead console between the sun visors
    • LED in both foot wells wired to the door light pins
    • Dash cover faux wood laminate will be painted
    • All new (4) ac vents
    • 1978 door panels
    • 1971 door pulls cut out of the lower door panels

Dash Assembly - Repaired Now in the best structural condition since the later 1970s.

The 1" missing section was filled in with a piece of ABS on the back side then sanded to the needed curve. Next, tape was placed around the edge of the faux wood and Permatex Plastic Welder was applied for the raised edge and sanded. Repeated to the same height as the outer edge.
    100_7880.JPG
    Cracks on right corner repaired
    100_7881.JPG
    The backside of three screw holes had several cracks. PPW over the area then pressed mesh into the PPW
    100_7882.JPG
    An earlier repair that worked well was wrapping wire around cracked threaded posts on the left.
    100_7883.JPG
    Faux wood laminate will be painted the new interior color. Did not find a carpet-headliner combination that also went well with the laminate. Also, the laminate looks old-tired and I never carried much for such laminate. Was able to remove it from the dash cover. Will simplify painting both for no masking will be needed. The dash cover will be all black, including the outer edge.
    100_7878.JPG
    Selected headliner material - SunBrite 2004, Light Beige: Choice made based on 24 carpet samples from ACC. The material purchased was bit different from the sample. Piece cut for the package tray wood overlay
    100_7879.JPG
    Selected paint color for interior redo. Took a piece of headliner to the PPG shop for a paint match (or as close as I could get). Looked through 11 books of PPG color samples making a list of 20. Made a second trip to weed through the 20 choosing 1986 GM 25778 "Driftwood Medium". Had a quart mixed. As with the headliner material, the color will vary from the paint sample

Carpet selection will await the install of the new headliner and repainted interior for better matching. Still hoping Essex will be the better match but if cutpile is the better it will be installed

Ordered Legendary 1978 standard door panels. Will arrive 29 April

Door handles will be from the 71. Don't like the forward location of the 78 door pull for I have the seat all the way back. Not a good angle for closing. Cut out the door pull from a RH and after several examinations and trimmings got to a final shape. Nice thing is can still use the same mounting plate on the door. Will enclose the front and back ends plus the underside
    100_7875.JPG 100_7876.JPG 100_7877.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Chuck71RS

28 April - Sunday Spray Day: The second and last spraying of Acrylic Urethane on the exterior. Trunk and front panel alignment has been finished. Unlike my first alignment last year, went a lot faster this time. Started prep for the AU.
    100_7886.JPG
    Header is on only for alignment. Will be painted off chassis but during the same spray session
    100_7887.JPG
    A view of the new headliner material (Sunbrite 2004 - Light Beige) that will also go on the package tray wood overlay. Originally the interior (including package tray) was dark saddle but did not want a dark interior. Thought doeskin, buckskin would be good but to light. Camel to much yellow. The light beige is about half way between the sandalwood and the vinyl top.
    100_7890.JPG
    The speaker grills (after the chrome stripped off) blend in with the console. The screw heads will be dabbed with black. In the mood Phil
    100_7866.JPG 100_7867.JPG

[email protected] and xten like this.
  6. Chuck71RS

LH Door latch cup: Repaired earlier but was weak. Using Permatex Plastic Weld and SEM mesh a strong repair. PPW-mesh on the backside alone was not enough so covered the exterior corner. Lost a bit of detail but that's ok. Coated with SEM high build primer. Will be sprayed with the new interior color
    100_7905.JPG

100_7885.JPG

100_7906.JPG
    RH rear upper panel: tail repaired earlier but strengthened with PPW and mesh then coated with SEM high build primer. Entire panel will be coated with SEM Texturizre then the new interior color (PPG OneChoice)
    100_7912.JPG PPW-mesh was added to the back. The yellow are strips of filler spreader from the earlier repair. They were soaked in gas which made them extremely pliable
    100_7913.JPG

Dash assembly - Repair Competed! 1 inch of lower left corner was filled in with new plastic, shaped to fit, built up with PPW, coated with SEM high build then the entire out edge was painted with Landau Black
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

100_7769.JPG
    1/16" ABS plastic shaped and built up with PPW
    [​IMG]
    The finished corner
    100_7892.JPG
    Dash assembly on a piece of new headliner material which will be the same color as the padded dash and the dash assembly laminate.

The faux wood laminate coated with primer for the new interior color. The padded dash will also be this color. As posted previously, the laminate looked worn-tired and I never really cared for it

Prefer the outer edge black then argent silver or chrome. With all gauges and openings black, the outer edge in black is a better choice
    100_7909.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  7. Chuck71RS

Door pull: The 71 door pulls will be used on the 78 Legendary door panels. Prefer these to the 78. The arm rest will remain black. Door panel will be painted the new interior color. Since the door panels do not have openings through the vinyl, can place the arm rest-door pull where I want it
    100_7893a.JPG

78 Door panel - test fit on the door and I LUV it..!!
    100_7898.JPG
    However the install will not be easy: The two panels have matching outer edge dimensions but none of the 10 fasteners on the sides and bottom of the 78 line up with the 71 panel. Also 6 of the 71 are screws and 4 of the 78 are plastic retainers and the other 2 metal clips into plastic retainers in the door

To determine where to drill holes in the inner door metal, will install the 10 fasteners in the panel with paint on the ends. When test fitted, the paint will mark where holes need to be drilled.
    100_7899.JPG 100_7900.JPG 100_7901.JPG
    Door latch and window crank handle are the same size but alignment is way off.
    100_7903.JPG

Still Dealing With Paint Contamination: The 28 Apr second spray was delayed two days till all was correct. The result was still contamination. Another round of 800 to remove it.

Contamination elimination was tried again by installing a second layer of plastic (masking plastic) on the 6mil white plastic walls and ceiling.

Then a dirt test. With extraction blower going and booth sealed, tack wiped the hood surface and palmed it till no junk was felt. Over 20 minutes did not feel any build up.

Brought the body shop test panel in, placed it horizontal, prepped it like any Camao surface, sprayed and only a couple of nibs

A third spray on 6 May still had a lot of contamination but less. Did not finish the RH side for the compressor plug and 10ga extension cord separated and resulting in a prolonged period of spraying without enough pressure.

Did some 2000 sanding on a few areas of the hood and found it removed the contamination without the large amount of paint removal as in the previous sanding to remove contamination

Got a magnifying glass and examined the hood contamination. What i found was all were outward protrusions and the same color as the paint. Being that 99% of contamination was on vertical surfaces and the rest were close to a vertical surface told me from compressor to what comes out of the gun is not the source. Since I did not see any concave the source was not chemical. By elimination this leaves dirt.

Also came to the conclusion I have a dirt situation that I can not resolve..

Since the hood 2000 tests showed me it can be sanded out without a lot of paint removal, will complete the final spraying, 2000 remove all contamination then buff

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    [email protected] likes this.
  8. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

Man, you are really putting a ton of work into the car. Excited to see the outcome. Meanwhile, I'm over here spending 2+ hours trying to get my dang glovebox to fit right...

Keep up the great work!

9. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Are you spraying single stage or base coat clear coat?

10. Chuck71RS

For me it is do it all now or never. Although when I started I did not think much was needed. A classic example of mission creep
    single stage acrylic urethane with hardener. Today and Saturday temp/humidity high 67-71 and humidity over 90%. Sunday to be upper 70s to 80 with humidity in the 50s% range so spray then. With AU that is present and what will be spray there will be plenty so no danger that 2000 and buffing will remove to much. 2000-buff will also get rid of the orange peel so the finish will look even better

Last edited: May 11, 2019