71 RS - abandoned 23 years

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

"Necessity is the mother of invention" Certainly applies to you Chuck. Nice job on the ashtray= cup holder. It looks 'factory'

2. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Another pox upon thee Bob

3. Chuck71RS

Boo-Boo paint repairs: A few buffer burns at edges where tape line was not high enough. Installing parts resulted in some chipping
    Had a few artist brushes (left) but needed some smaller ones. To right from Hobby Lobby during a 40% sale for $3.82.
    100_8321.JPG
    To accelerate drying. $9 at Target
    100_8350.JPG

Cup Holder installed. Just enough room to retain the LED
    100_8333.JPG 100_8332.JPG 100_8334.JPG

Door strikers: Spacers painted with an artist brush. Originally bright metal but wanted them to blend in with the body
    100_8324.JPG 100_8325.JPG
    Installed stainless drip rails and window seal rails. The rails had been buffed. I don't think ss rail was available for vinyl topped roofs. Originally had shinny plastic. Test fitted earlier in the rebuild. Had to Dremel most of the holes in both rails so they lined up with each other and the screw openings. Front edge of the drip rails had to be ground of a bit to clear the door trim. Used 3m heavy drip-chek to seal drip rail to roof and window rail to drip rail. Photo attempts not good enough.

New package tray cover made and sprayed. Test fitted before spraying. The 1" medium density foam (two 1/2" layers) along the top of the package tray and the cover flap covers the gap with a level surface

New insulation plan-doors and trunk divider : Removed the 1/2" ccf from the trunk divider for it is two thick. Was going to install 1/4" ccf on the door but is to thick. Will use butyl rubber but no decision yet as to brand.
    ----Trunk divider - With a transverse muffler, heat as well as noise
    ----Doors is noise - 5/32" thickness. Yellow area - 1/4" ccf will go in the GM concave stamping. Tried this earlier and made a noticeable difference.
    100_8338.JPG
    Present ccf insulation
    1/4" - roof
    1/4" - upper rear panel
    1/2" - lower rear panel
    1/4" - underside of package tray
    1/2" - firewall to bun seats + 3/8" jute

Stereo Wiring: A lot of wires and has been a mess but found a good way to organize using the holes in the metal dash rear tabs. These are lower then the edge for the padded dash so no interference. Will install the wire in plastic flex conduit. The concentration wires here is due to two amps where the glove box use to be
    100_8347.JPG
    Stereo configuration: Increased from 2 to three pairs of speakers and amps from two to three. 4" relocated from 71 lower door panel to underside of dash. New pair is 6 1/2" in the 78 door panel. New amp in the trunk

The front two speaker pairs are on the same line out going through the 1986 Kenwood eq. The eq has a sliding fader to provide volume level. New amp in trunk is a separate line out. Once volume for front speakers is volume adjustment with them and the rear set with the head fader. 4" under dash center have a 1200 hz bas block. The door has a 400hz via the equalizer but won't know if it is needed till stereo is working
    Stereo-6speakers.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. Chuck71RS

Preliminary interior: Had been working on the package tray. Wanted to see the results of everything sprayed the same so a quick temp install. I really like how the mono tone is coming together
    100_8339.JPG

Sure do luv the 78 door panel. The padded arm rest, I now think being black looks horrible. Needs to blend in with the door panel. Will spray same color as the door panel.
    100_8340.JPG

100_8341.JPG
    With headliner rails installed. The single piece headliner had indent lines due to the install but the underling foam has reshaped to original form
    100_8346.JPG

Smokey15 and dave@ztech like this.
  5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Christine is looking fantastic, Chuck!!

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Remember the part that goes around the inside door opener will perhaps be black as well, maybe then it will blend better?? With the black door pull

7. Chuck71RS

Will stay with the door panel color for the piece behind the door opener and respray the arm rest. There is nothing special about either part that they need to be highlighted to stand out. Have all surfaces above and to the sides of the black seats, center console and lower dash surrounded by the same color. Even the black review mirror is now the door panel color color.

Below the black, the carpet won't be the same but in the same hue.

8. Chuck71RS

De-bling de Interior: Earlier I liked shinny surfaces but not now. Sprayed the two shift plates to cover the bright metal along the raised edges. All visible interior screw heads will get a dab of paint
    100_8365.JPG
    First view Medium Driftwood and black together. I really like the look
    100_8366.JPG
    How the door panel will look when installed. The speaker grill is 1/2" high
    100_8371.JPG
    Speaker grills now low-riders: Did not like the grill extending 1/2" from the panel so cut off 5/16". Taped around the side, marked down 3/16" all the way around then used the die grinder for cut off.
    100_8377.JPG

Coiled 1/8" nylon vacuum gauge line is hard to work with. Solve this by inserting it in rubber tubing. Also blends in better in the engine compartment

$20 just for a screw is what it would have cost for the screw to attach the RH bullet mirror to the base. Had to buy a kit. Discovered the thread is #10 machine and I found a #10 with a tapered head. Head was to wide to reduced diameter using the bench grinder

Paint Sticks are versatile: To attach the "e' clip to the door handle rod, it needed to be immobilized. Two paint stick broken in half did what I needed
    100_8375.JPG
    Door Glass Ready Install: Cleaning out the tracks was a chore. Some of the dried lube was so hard a screwdriver was needed to scrape it out. Once cleaned lubricated with 3m "Multi Purpose Lubricant", 08898. Testing on a window roller, the tracks move smoothly
    100_8378.JPG

Teeth in good condition Something odd to me at least is the LH window regulator was attached with rivets and RH was bolted
    100_8379.JPG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  9. Chuck71RS

Used Camaro Parts Displayed in my inner sanctum. Replaced parts are nailed to the walls. Have posted before but a lot have been added since then. Almost out of room for any more. On the table is the molding for the front-rear glass

In addition are supports on the walls to display 26 record albums which I rotate from among the collection.
    100_8393.JPG
    Only one album is on permanent display, The Beatles first Capitol album. It has been beyond playing a long time ago but I kept because it was THE very first album I ever bought just after their Ed Sullivan Show appearance in February 1964. I was 9 years old
    100_8394.JPG

100_8384.JPG
    At the bottom is Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant". Being that it was Thanksgiving today, I listened to it. At top is "The Complete Tom Paxton"
    100_8385.JPG
    100_8386.JPG
    Had to put the door panel on the ceiling
    100_8389.JPG
    If you are into electronic music, top center lp is (I think) the first all electronic (a moog) lp "Zero Time" by Tonto's Expanding Headband, in 1971. For any Boston area member, middle right is Ultimate Spinach
    100_8388.JPG
    Love the Fleewood Mac period after Peter Green and before Buckingham/Nicks. Middle left, with the light flash is "Kiln House". Bottom right is Christie McVie solo album from 1984.
    100_8390.JPG
    The long object in front of the parts is a spear from Chad
    100_8392.JPG

Attached Files:

Termin8r and dave@ztech like this.
  10. Termin8r

Termin8r Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great work, and I wish I had your patience. Your paint looks fantastic and I hope to be able to do something like that someday, although I know it won't look as nice as yours.
    I love all the albums and artwork on the walls. I noticed quite a few eight tracks on that shelf. Are you going to put an eight track player in the car? It must have been an option back then?