71 RS - abandoned 23 years

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Scottyd

Scottyd Veteran Member

Eight years! Congratulations it's beautiful.

Chuck71RS likes this.
  2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chuck!
    Christine is looking fantastic! I'm really looking forward to getting a ride in her when I get back to Houston. I should be home by Tuesday but will likley need a few days to get over the jetlag I'm probably going to feel.

3. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Windows up: This past Sunday was gorgeous weather so took Christine on a two hour drive with the stereo turned up. It was sunny and 65 degrees so my window was down yet almost every car I saw had windows up.

Resprayed the 5 rims this afternoon: Having sprayed the vinyl top the brown on the rims was an ugly mismatch. Took the left-over vinyl Delton Base Interior to the paint shop for the same color in PPG JAU. The shop sprayed the DBI then photographed to come up with a formula. I still had useable hardener and reducer so the respray only cost $39 for the pint of JAU (the pint of DBI was $123). Monday, took 6 hours from loosening the first lug nut to the last spray of Rustoleum spray can primer on the prepped Rustoleum brown. So far no lifting. Placed one rim on the rear RH with a partially installed trim ring and the look is a great improvement.

No accent around the 6 rim openings: Was still interested in the idea of a shiny accent around the 6 rim openings. I had a damaged rim so tested with a Molotow chrome paint pen. The outside edge was pretty smooth but I did not like the result. Will not use the chrome (stainless steel?) inserts. I saw a Cutlass with such inserts and they covered to much rim surface

Da-bigguy, xten and BillyDean7173 like this.
  4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Chuck
    Glad to hear your putting some well deserved miles on Christine. I bet she turned a lot of heads.

Chuck71RS likes this.