71 Z28 Project kick off...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by reaboy, Jun 22, 2018.

1. biendog

biendog Veteran Member

I have to agree with scott,surely you can find a better basket to start from.Sorry I just can't see it.Good luck which ever way you go.

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Sorry but cars like that just aren’t a good starting point for anyone, most need to be scrapped or used as full cage race car bodies at best.

There’ll still be all of the lessons and sweat equity with a better project car, but you’ll end up spending way less on materials and parts, and won’t end up with a butchered car.

Jump on classic industries and add all the parts you could possibly need to a shopping cart, do something similar with tools and materials and total all the $. Now take a quick a look at craigslist and the classifieds on here and see what that same figure gets you.

3. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Not sure of your budget or skills, but it sounds like they may be both adaquate here, if you already realize what you're getting into.

I'd selectively buy reproduction panels and then as work progresses, say it's time to hang the 1/4 panels. Try the repop. If you can make them work, you're in business and can sell the GM panels. If the reproduction pieces don't fit to your liking, you can sell or return them and use the NOS panels.

I WOULDN'T SELL ANYTHING until you're done and past the point of needing that particular part. I have no idea of how much stuff I sold, and then had to find & buy over the years.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

This is an example of something you want to do cause you really love this particular car or to learn to do the rebuild, not with any chance of getting your money back. I hate to say it but just the "back half" part alone will kill the value for many people. I'm not sure how they did this and kept the alignment between the halves good without a jig or something. But then I'm not a bodyman. On top of that it looks like some rust issues still to deal with. Great project for teaching your kids. If they can see this through to the end they will have at least learned patience!

5. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

If the back half job were FIXED correctly it would not diminish the value of the finished vehicle.
    There are plenty of formerly back halved COPO camaros around, there are also more than a few original paint cars which were back halved then fixed and are still original paint... bet you couldn't pick them out of a crowd.

6. Peterson

Peterson New Member

I have a rotisserie that I’m done with so give me a call at (302)540-1121 and we can figure something out.