71 z28-RS resale value

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Oct 24, 2020.

1. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

I really hate to ask this question because It bugs me when others ask about the value of a car. I pretty much have a good basic idea usually with most cars with the exception of the rule, Its worth what someone is willing to pay. But where better to ask than here for a good general idea. My car is a 1971 Z28 RS with original train and 72000 miles. Its Antique green with black rally strips. It is not a concours original restoration but a very un bastardized car that looks great and drives great. Some small areas of metal repair, repaint in base clear, missing smogg stuff, etc. I would like to end up seeing in the high 40s and I would like opinion, The car is currently listed on hudson valley NY cars and trucks for sale with some photos. I hope I am not doing anything wrong posting this question, but if I was to post it under cars for sale section it didn't seem right either . I found something else that interests me, the only reason for considering selling. And I guess I am considering my price based in part on how much I have to dish out on another car, seems like prices are getting a little crazy. I know there are a lot of variables but am I in the right ball park? Again hope I'm not braking any rules, This is not intended to be a sale post. Thanks for any input.

2. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I’m not sure how these always work but my classic car insurance requires an appraisal every 5 years. My appraiser does research on my car’s value by assessing market values plus the condition of mine to come up with a value. If you have that type of insurance I’d be using that number. But you’re right it ultimately comes down to what someone will pay for your car.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/d/warwick-971-camaro-28-rs/7219512778.html

Is this it?

The car in the link appears to be a very nice car! The color is great, but the green interior might not appeal to the majority. Real Z with RS front end and the original drivetrain is a plus. I can easily see this car for $45K. I think a local market is small for these cars in really nice shape....I would expand outside CL and maybe consider an auction block.

71 Camaro.jpg

4. 1beautifuldaughter

Yes thats me, I just stuck it on craigs because if I put it on ebay I do feel like I would have to write a book describing it, and its kind of a hassle, Thanks for the input

5. 1beautifuldaughter

Hagerty gave me an agreed value of $48,000 without hesitation.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like that color but if I was looking for a ‘71, it would have to be a manual transmission.

7. Adams

Adams Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From Motown (still in the blood), live in Houston
    Hagerty Valuation Tool gives it $44.6K for 71 Z28 in #2 condition. Add +20% for RS on Z28. Since it offers to add 10% for 4spd car I assume this is good range for Auto car.
    $52K range. It actually surprises me but have checked their numbers in the past versus current auctions and it comes out pretty close.

8. 1beautifuldaughter

Thanks , I couldn't get onto the Hagerty valuation tool for some reason.

9. jurquhart

jurquhart Tin Taxi Gold Member

Great looking car,,,I sent you an email...

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Just keep in mind values and estimates doesn’t always match what a buyer is willing to spend. You’ll have to balance price and timeline you want to sell it in. On the high end, people are going to spend the money on the car they want. When it’s sort or a deal things like an Auto trans is acceptable even though they prefer a 4 speed.