72 Camaro floor pan patch install

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by lapedr, Jun 14, 2019.

1. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

What is the best way to go here, stitch or plug weld the patch panel into place? The area needing replaced is forward of the drivers seat just past the seat track bolt holes, about 2" up the trans tunnel from the bottom, and about 3" up the drivers side toe board from bottom. For anyone who has done this how did you weld it in? Any tips?

2. lightly-modded

lightly-modded Member

How good of a welder are you? Butt welding will make the cleanest looking repair if done right, but it is also the hardest to do (especially with replacement sheet metal rarely being perfect). Easiest is to cut the panel with a 1" overlap and plug weld. Add a stitch weld around the seam and it will also be the strongest repair. If you are not concerned with the repair being completely undetectable, I would plug weld. Don't forget to seam seal after!

hubedobeedo likes this.
  3. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

if you can it depends on size of panel there is a brace running across floor pan right about were the front seat bolts are .i took a drill and went from bottom up through center ,then when i removed the rusty i trimmed all and that was a solid weld .if it is a area were it was spot welded prep for plug weld. o yea like mentioned previously don't forget seam seal i actually did mine after i stripped and blasted alot of the repairs i did and then epoxied first pass. side was pinholed so decided might as well do it to. when i first purchased floor pans(bare metal made in usa) i did not realize that the guy i got them from got the wrong ones(3 years later)lol i still have they are for newer than 71 can post pics. the ones i used were from goodmark they were nice thickness and fit very nice ,i got their full length panels only used front still have back can post pics.

Attached Files:

xten likes this.
  4. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

great info thx