72 Camaro lowered shocks???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by denwalt87, Mar 29, 2017.

1. denwalt87

denwalt87 New Member

Looking at lowering the Camaro but can't seem to come up with a definite answer, I'm looking at putting either Moog 5660's or 5610's not for sure which one yet, but what I can't seem to find is which shocks, I planned on running Bilistein's but not sure on the length I should go with???

What's everyone running for their shocks??

2. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

I am not much help with factual input but I will be installing 5664's, Landrum 175# 5" leafs, and will be running Bilstein's all around. From what I have searched this combo should work just fine.

3. denwalt87

denwalt87 New Member

How much will the Landrum leafs lower the rear of your car?

4. denwalt87

denwalt87 New Member

Anybody else have any input on what shock your running on your lowered Camaro? Kinda want to run Bilisteins but possibly thought about the Koni shocks, just not real sure on length and I know some guys say they just use the factory length but will that cause them to bottom out the shock? The car will only be lowered about 1 1/2"-2" all the way around

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I tried Moog 5610 and they really didn't lower mine. But - my old springs had sagged pretty bad and I changed wheel & tire combo at the same time, so I may have not given the spring a fair assessment. I would up calling Keith at Custom Works (site sponsor), going with his 2G springs and Koni red shocks. I've never heard of anyone running into problems using stock length shocks with 2" lowering. I highly advise you call Keith before doing as I did; waste time and money chasing something I didn't know a lot about.

6. denwalt87

denwalt87 New Member

Okay thanks Corky I will give him a call and hopefully he can set me in the right direction.

7. gray86hatch

gray86hatch Member

Koni shocks ride and performed way better on my car. Dse springs also

8. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

I am not quite sure how much the landrum springs will lower the car exactly once everything is together and settled. The stock replacement are 6.5" arch I got the 5" so I am hoping the math stays true. Bilsteins and Konis came up the most with positve results for lowered cars up to 2". I paid $75 for the Bilsteins I believe red Konis are way over $100. I always loved how Bilsteins worked on 4th gens so and the price made me go that route.

9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

unless you change the TOTAL suspension TRAVEL..... the stock shock will not bottom out! Doesn't matter if you lower it 6"..... unless you change the available travel distance you have only changed the "resting point" for the suspension.
    example: 8" travel.... GM sets "rest point" at 4" so you get 4" compression and 4" extension. NOW... you lower the car 3" .... guess what... YOU now have 7" extension and only 1" compression....still got the SAME 8" of travel..... just different "resting point"