72: Installed new bushings, coils and front end is higher

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by VSTOL, Sep 20, 2020.

1. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

I just replaced the A-Arm bushings, upper and lower, U*MI shocks and their 2 inch drop coils and the front end is stiff as a board and sits at 28.5 where it was around 24 when I started. Do I have the A-frame bolts torqued too much if so what is the lbs required. Not too mention a big brake kit with C5 spindles so I was disappointed when it came off the lift.

2. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

Did you tighten the suspension components with the vehicle in the air or on its wheels?

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

What he said. Loosen the
    A-frame bolts and let it sit on the tires. And I've seen those new drop springs sit the same or a bit higher than old sagging stockers.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Also need to drive it around a little to let it settle. Whenever I jack up the front end it sits about a 3/4" higher when i set it down. After driving it settles down.

5. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

Thanks going to the garage tonight, sad thing is I had Hotckin lowering springs on it but screwed one up during the long process

6. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

Loosen top and bottom A-Arm bolts some movement but still sits 28 1/2 at the lip on 18 inch wheels. It was at a great ride height before this..not my first rodeo but frustrating to have your 72 look like a 4 wheel drive Camaro

7. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

It was on the lift when originally tighten and was there for 2 months like that. I have tried to bounce it as well as lift with a floor jack and let it come down but nothing. I need to get ride height fixed before alignment.

8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

All components need to be tightened with the weight of the car on them.

9. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

All bolts are loose, car on the ground, tried to jack it up and let it down quickly, tried to bounce it etc but no results. I am going to call UMI to make sure they gave me the right coils .

70-camaro likes this.
  10. VSTOL

VSTOL VSTOL

It must be the coil springs are not seated right. I will remove the shocks and reseat the coils, that's the only thing left. I should be able to compress them and reseat fairly easily since they are for 2 inch drop. I will keep you guys posted and thanks.