72' rear bumper guard-installation/drilling?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by gookc, Jul 4, 2005.

1. gookc

gookc Veteran Member

can anyone tell me the correct installation and drilling for my 72 rear bumper guards? I have all the hardware and templates.
    The big question I have is, when I try to line up the guards on the bumper, the lower mounting tabs on the guards are quite a distance away from the rear valance panel. Theres about a 1 inch gap between the tab and the valance. Does the bumper have to be loosely mounted before installing the guards? Please any info on mounting and installation would be much appreciated. I can't figure out how the get rid of the space between the guard moutning tab and lower valance. Thanks

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

This same question came up not too long ago, with NO conclusion as I recall. WE were trying to determine if in 1973 the rear bumper was spaced farther away from the body, thus accounting for your problem, but again NO conclusion on the discussion (as is usaully the case)
    Its not my intent to criticize you for asking your question, but if people would use the search function 1st and then REUSE/Reply to old threads, I think the educational value of this bulletin board would be better served......

------------------
    Chuck Sharin
    Seattle(area)
    70 Camaro's
    69 COPO "Recreation"

3. Bad 406

Bad 406 Veteran Member

That would have been me that asked this question awhile back.

What I did find is that my bumper was not properly installed (bolts missing and not tight). After reinstlling the bumper I only had a small gap at the bottom so I figured I would drill the pilot hole in the lower valance, during the drillling it came very apperent to me that the rear valence was not true ( about a ΒΌ inch of bondo to get to the metal) so my next step will be to get that valence back into shape.

I hope this helps.

4. GREGS396

GREGS396 Veteran Member

Chuck, the rear bumper in 73 Was further away for the 5MPH impact rules. As I'm sure you know the R/S had more support brackets, while the standard front end had the larger bumper gaurds. For 73 the Z did not have the same type for the rear as did 70-72. Even the rubber spacers at the ends of the 73 rear bumper were thicker.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

70-72 guards had a space where a rubber spacer was installed. I had a new rear valance installed and no way am I going to drill into it to cause a place for rust to start. I cut a bolt short and used adhesive to hold the bolt head in place on the lower bolt hole to make it look like it's installed.

------------------
    Mark D
    1970 Z28
    http://http://ca.geocities.com/mlvd@rogers.com/
    WTB: 70 SS396 Chevelle 4-spd, flapper hood car, no rag tops, 1-2 owner car.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I seem to have a similar issue, my car is a 70 and it seems from the lower part of the fang to the valence is a good distance . Anyone got close pics of the installed?

7. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Ran into this on my 71. I assume you are talking about the chrome fangs that bolt to the rear bumper and lower valance. There are 5 bumper brackets for the rear bumper. I believe the 70 to 72's used the short brackets where the 73's used the longer brackets for the rubber inserts out at the ends. On my car 4 of the brackets were correct (short) but the center bracket was the long version. I swapped the center bracket to the shorter bracket and the fangs sat correctly on the valance with no spacer.