72 Restomod

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MisterEd, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

After much debate and deliberation between a few cars, I picked up a '72 base with (supposedly) matching numbers 307 and column shift auto. I haven't been able to find / verify the numbers just yet. Doesn't matter much - I'm going restomod anyway!

But I am seriously thinking about rebuilding the 307, adding an Edelbrock Power Package, and leaving it in the car. If it's a TH350, I'll keep that, too. If it's a Powerglide, I'll put that in storage and go with a 200-4R from our friends at Bowtie Overdrives.

It has factory air, so I don't have to go aftermarket for that.

Both front seats and the back seat are present. (Passenger seat is under the windshield.)

The dash is laying in the back seat.

I got him to throw in that 3 piece tall, blue spoiler that's laying in the car, too. (The short, red one goes to his original RS/SS he's restoring.)

The car's red now, tag says Golden Brown (but looks more like Pacer Gold?!) with Covert vinyl top. Can't decide on an exterior color yet, and won't be putting the vinyl top back on. Interior is coded for Covert, which I'll probably do.

The only rust I've found so far is on the cowl below the VIN tag.

The hardest part of this is going to be telling my wife... do I tell her now or when it shows up on the flatbed? LOL!

If you want to keep up with the build on a regular basis, I'm going to document the build on:
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcyx-8WgGMoHlxJNMDPUcpw
    Instagram: @pappysgarage / #pappysgarage
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PappysGarageNC
    Web: www.pappysgarage.com

EngineBay.jpg FrontEnd.jpg DriverRear.jpg Rear.jpg PassRear.jpg InsideDoor.jpg Dash.jpg Interior.jpg BackSeat.jpg

71RSLS likes this.
  2. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

By all means document rolling it upon the flatbed with to show your wife. lol. Welcome. I love projects like these.

MisterEd likes this.
  3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a decent project car.

MisterEd likes this.
  4. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Nice, same platform as my 70, I left the 307 in the sellers garage as it was dead weight to tow home a few hundred miles, don't spend a dime on the 307, stick it in the corner of your garage and throw a blanket on it!! performance wise it really is the forgotten small block, the small bore and rotten heads just didn't work, I had one in my 69 chevelle wagon, I tried most of the usual stuff to try and make it move, nothing worked, what it did well was run smooth and hoover as much fuel as my Lt1, nice project you got there!

MisterEd likes this.
  5. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

She's home! She's home! She's home! Woo hoo!!!!

20180323_134743.jpg 20180323_134751.jpg 20180323_134756.jpg 20180323_134802.jpg 20180323_134813.jpg 20180323_134820.jpg 20180323_134826.jpg 20180323_135450.jpg

Zstar likes this.
  6. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Looks like a great project! How did your wife take the news? I actually told my wife where I was going when I went to look at my car... Then sent a text when I bought it. She's still not too happy, but understands that it's something I've wanted since before we even met. Of course, I think she's jealous that her '70 Mustang won't get worked on now...

MisterEd and 71RSLS like this.
  7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the site! That looks like a great project. I will be looking forward to seeing lots more pics as you make progress on your new obsession!

MisterEd likes this.
  8. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Nice new project! It really looks like a nice one to start with!

MisterEd likes this.
  9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ. :)

Looks like a good project to start with. As soon as you get that 307 running, you'll wish you had dropped a 350, or larger, in between the fenders.

MisterEd likes this.
  10. MisterEd

MisterEd Member

She wasn't stoked. The timing was bad. A couple of deaths in the family in the same week didn't help. She's warming up to it now and actually helped me with pulling some of the sheet metal off the front.

Zstar likes this.