'72 side mirrors?

Thunderkyss

Veteran Member
Sep 16, 2012
Texas
I've seen both the square, chrome mirrors & the sport bullet mirrors on 72 Camaros. Was this an option? Would both mirrors be period correct?

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
For 70, all cars got the single driver's side chrome mirror as standard equipment. If you wanted dual mirrors, you ordered RPO-D35 and got dual bullet mirrors.

72 was different according to the option list. The chrome mirror appears to still be standard, but RPO-D35 says "remote left hand mirror" instead of "mirrors sport right and left hand remote" like 1970. But, the option book says right hand sport mirror also available.
http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/1972/72b-14.jpg

koor

Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 24, 2012
SoCal
I have '71 with a single chrome square mirror. I thought that they all had the bullet type. I can't locate the passenger side anywhere. Good to know they came stock with those.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Usually when your car had the chrome mirror,it was only the drivers side.I put two on mine,but its not from the factory that way.

Z-WIZZ

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2004
FLA
krabben1 said:
Usually when your car had the chrome mirror,it was only the drivers side.I put two on mine,but its not from the factory that way.

same here
3-19-11_002.jpg

POS71RS

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 21, 2002
Central Coast, CA
From my understanding, the chrome mirror was still standard as mentioned.

If you ordered the 'remote mirror' option, the chrome mirror was replaced with the optional bullet mirror with remote cables. But still only on the driver's side.
If you ordered a passenger side mirror, it was included with the car to the dealership, and the dealership drilled and installed the pass. side mirror.
I have the build sheet for my 71, and it calls for left remote mirror. My car never had a mirror on the pass. side door.

I'd be willing to bet that since the pass. side bullet mirror was dealer installed, that if a car came in with the standard chrome mirror, the dealer would install a pass. side chrome mirror upon request/$$.

I believe this was the case for the first few years of the 2nd gens. Later I think the bullet was standard, and finally the pass. side was as well.

Maybe Twozs will come in and lay it down some.

BigBlock73

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 10, 2002
Accord,New York
Pass.side chrome mirror was a dealer installed option.
It is the same mirror for both sides.
I have a mirror in the GM box with a template and installation instructions for the pass. side.