72 Split bumper convert

suds788

Dec 26, 2018
Fort Morgan, CO
The bumpers will bolt up fine. FYI for all - the split bumper and the Z racing stripes were a available option for all 72 camaros, more so for the SS option - they were not not exclusive for RS or Z's. Wear your splits proud!!!!

mrfleet12

Veteran Member
Aug 8, 2014
West of Chicago IL
I bought mine this way, have always loved the RS look but honestly, nothing on this LS swapped car is original but the sheet metal and I really don't care. I enjoy driving the H out of it and pay no attention to the haters.
IMG_20200321_160500.jpg

Kevlar382

Feb 19, 2012
Holland Mi
Its your car. Build how you want and enjoy the heck out of it. All the people that will say "its a fake RS if you put split bumpers on a standard front end" likely don't have a factory car anyway so theirs would be "just as fake". So do it how you want. Make it a real one make it a fake one....who cares. It will still be a bad*ss 2nd gen camaro!
You can't make it a real one if it wasn't one. If you live where you need a front plate it will cover up your turn signal/parking light and I think the grill looks kind of messed up because of where the hood release is.
That being said this is coming from a guy that has a 71 RS/Z28 that i have had since it was new. Your car, do what you like, I'm sure you will really be happy with it. Stay safe

OFLHLG

Aug 29, 2010
Finksburg, md
I have a 72 Camaro base and was wondering if the split bumper is just bolt on or if I need to convert the front end to a RS?
Sure you can just bolt on split bumpers but why would you want to make it something that it’s not? I personally don’t like the look of the botched RS conversions

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
FYI for all - the split bumper and the Z racing stripes were a available option for all 72 camaros, more so for the SS option - they were not not exclusive for RS or Z's.
Are you saying that in 72, I could get a pair of RS bumperettes on a standard front end from the factory as an option? And that I could get Z28 stripes on a non-Z28 from the factory in 72 as an option, including on an SS? Are you saying these are options from the factory or the dealer?

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
I enjoy driving the H out of it and pay no attention to the haters.
Your car looks awesome! :bowtie:
I wish I had a black car. I'm afraid the body work on my 71 won't be good enough for black. Right now it's white with black stripes. Have you ever considered painting the grille black? It would look even more sinister IMHO. My grille is black and it even makes my white car look mean, lol.

Ribbs

Aug 12, 2012
Anacortes, WA
I have a 72 Camaro base and was wondering if the split bumper is just bolt on or if I need to convert the front end to a RS?
The bumpers do bolt on. Mine had them with a standard front when I got it. These guys are right, there is a ton of crap given. When I went through the car, I changed all the other pieces to be RS (most of the hassle is the nose as has been pointed out). The grill is two pieces and different as well as the hood latch is different. I love the bumperettes and the round signal lights. Personal preference my friend - make it yours!

mrfleet12

Veteran Member
Aug 8, 2014
West of Chicago IL
Thanks, I was fortunate to get a clean Arizona car.
Had a black grille, kinda prefer this for now.
May eventually take this back to factory code 60 copper.

Your car looks awesome! :bowtie:
I wish I had a black car. I'm afraid the body work on my 71 won't be good enough for black. Right now it's white with black stripes. Have you ever considered painting the grille black? It would look even more sinister IMHO. My grille is black and it even makes my white car look mean, lol.

Kevlar382

Feb 19, 2012
Holland Mi
The split bumpers where not available on all 72 Camaro's as an option. You had to get the RS package to get them. That being said, you could get an RS, an RS/Z28, or an RS/SS, which would all have them.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
You can't make it a real one if it wasn't one. If you live where you need a front plate it will cover up your turn signal/parking light and I think the grill looks kind of messed up because of where the hood release is.
That being said this is coming from a guy that has a 71 RS/Z28 that i have had since it was new. Your car, do what you like, I'm sure you will really be happy with it. Stay safe
Pics?

Latest posts