72 steering box question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by hutchenc, Feb 9, 2010.

1. hutchenc

hutchenc Veteran Member

I recently bought a '72 Camaro. I haven't ever owned an f-body before (I have had a '56 Belair for about 18 years though), but this car has already been a lot of fun. Please excuse my ignorance.

So the steering seems a little loose and it likes to hunt a lot on some roads. It has 17" wheels, with QA1 coil-overs and drop spindles btw. It has factory PS also. Can the steering box be tightened up with an adjusting screw or anything like that? It handles very well much to my surprise, just needs some tweaking I think.

Any help?

Oh...here's the car in question.

[​IMG]

2. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    There is an adjusting screw on the top of the box. There is a locking nut that you loosen then an allen head fastener that you can tighten. Don't expect miracles, it really only provides relatively fine adjustment. If the box is original to the car, and it probably is, it is almost 40 years old. As discussed in other threads, you can have it rebuilt, get a box from a third gen WS6 TransAm or IROC, or get a new box from someone like AGR or Lee Manufacturing.

You might also want to look at the rag joint and the alignment. If the car has been modified and the alighment shop used the factory specs (narrow bias ply tires and minimal fun factor driving) the feel might be what you are describing. Good luck.