72 wiring

LayZ

Veteran Member
Jun 9, 1999
NJ. US
OK so i'm thinking and asking first. I've seen the rewiring kits and the American auto wire one is like $800 Any reason why i couldn't just do it myself with regular wires? Nothing wrong with my wiring per say other than it's been hacked to pieces over the years and many different owners. Only thing that I would really want to do in the sense of upgrades is the better Alternator and gauges. So, i figure if i just get say 12-16 gauge wires and just run them better i should be good right? could probably even re use my connectors.

Icepick23

Nov 17, 2021
If I were you, I would go with PAINLESS wiring. I got that for my project and everything is very well explained and fits like it should. However, if you want to try to reuse your old harness that's up to you. Also you won't have to deal with glass fuses any longer.

1978 Z/28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2017
New Brunswick
I used painless very happy with the results , others have used American wire and were happy also. I liked the Painless institutions more than American wire's. I would buy one the kits comes with everything you need

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
When I built my 72 Zed, I looked into both Painless and American Auto Wire, I went with AAW.

Cost was more I think, but I liked the options, laser print and colour coded wire like OEM, all the extra options and OEM connections and extra long to clean things up. JMO.

oPh

Jan 21, 2022
Serious Restorations…
Have been ordering & installing American Autowire since the 90’s when the company was J Parker Wireworks. Early on, I typically only ordered engine wiring harnesses, headlamp f/e wiring harnesses, & occasional jumper harness. For the last dozen years, have ordered new dash harness as well. For best price, best to order through a friendly shop/vendor in AA’s down line.

Mitch_Z

Mar 31, 2007
Detroit, MI
It's just wire, if you have the time seems like a good DIY project to me. I remember an article where they had vertical pegboard and some kind of movable clips, they laid out the old harness and made all their repairs.

Scott51

Veteran Member
Jan 2, 2012
New Zealand
Last edited:

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Really depends on your build. If you are going back all stock use AAW and it's all plug and play. Engine swap or heavily modified then painless or the others mentioned will be your best bet.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I restored an old Jeep several years ago and reused every piece of the electricals except the wire and new conduit & sheathing. Lots of cleaning and soldering, took some serious time, but it was kind of fun to do. But that was an old Jeep with about the most simple wiring of any vehicle I suspect. Not sure I'd do that to a Camaro. But it can be done.

Latest posts