72 Z wont start

fvdillon

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 16, 2000
Crete,IL
My 72 seems to be dead. I was trying to get my AMP gauge plugged in(pushing it in with a screwdriver) I touched something, sparked. Got it plugged in now it won't start. Its dead like when you don't push the clutch all the way. The headlights,radio,dome light inst lights up. With ignition on I put my test light on all the fuses, all lit up except the 3 amp IGN fuse. Replaced that still wont light up. I don't really know how it works,so I pushed clutch in and tried to crank, still wont light up. I'm pretty lost as far as electrical. Any ideas? Thanks Jim

72SS9681

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
My guess would be that you've blow a fusible link. I don't have a wiring diagram that shows gauge wiring so its hard for me to say were to start. I believe the amp gauge is feed from the main charging system (alternator) so I would start by checking the fusible link that go's from the horn relay to the main harness.

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
Yea, check your fusible links at the horn relay, the black and the orange wires there both have fusible links. Hopefully you didn't blow a fusible link at the starter. The horn relay stud is sort of main junction point connecting the charging system wiring to the fuse block.

fvdillon

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 16, 2000
Crete,IL
Still getting no where. I have power to the starter, power up to the horn relay, power in the orange wire where fusible link is. Can't get test light to light up at IGN in fuse box. Power on, thought maybe I had to have key in startup position, still no power at IGN.

Lincolnfxr

Oct 10, 2021
Setauket LI, NY
If you looking at the fuse box and you are referring to the small 3a fuse in the bottom middle, that fuse is actually for the instrument lights will only get power when the headlights are on. The ign stamp on the box is for the spade terminal.above the 3amp fuse. Possibly you knocked a connector loose for neutral safety? Or the column linkage is turned slightly?

fvdillon

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 16, 2000
Crete,IL
Oh geeze, well that makes sense about the fuse, but car still dead. I found the neutral safety switch (purple wire) is still hooked up and that wire has power also

Lincolnfxr

Oct 10, 2021
Setauket LI, NY
Ok, should be 2 purples at the switch. A purple and a purple with a tracer, probably white. One should have power when in crank only. When the switch is depressed, power goes through and out the firewall bulkhead and down to the starter "s" terminal.