73 quarter panel help!

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by marks73, Jan 23, 2021.

1. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Something like this

Attached Files:

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Looks like it’s an assembled car right? If so media blasting isn’t the best approach.

Get a couple of Clean and Strip disks for your angle grinder, a good quality wire wheel for your drill or die grinder and a phosphoric acid based rust remover like PPG DX520 or evapo-rust.

Deal to the bulk of the problem with the strip disks first, and feather out the old paint and filler until you find clean metal and well adhered coatings. The strip disk won’t quite get into all of the crevices and pits so hit these with the wire wheel before treating the metal with rust remover - be sure to mask off feather edge so the chemicals don’t seep into or under the surrounding paint and filler.

While your rubbing on the rust remover with an old scotch rite pad or steel wool look real close for black flecks (rust reacting with the acid) if you spot any leave the acid for a while and hit the flecks with the wire wheel again. Rinse and repeat until no more black spots show up.

You’ll probably find some of those pits turn into pin holes, and in this instance drilling them out, priming the area with weld through primer and welding in a plate like 75maro suggested is a really good approach.

3. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Did you weld in a plate to merge the new quarter to the roof? I plug welded mine and stitch welded it but now I am seeing a crack already and all I have done is jack the car up by the rear axle a few times see pic

Attached Files:

75Maro likes this.
  4. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Trying to remember..... I think we accidentally cut the quarter to short at the roof seam so we had to fabricate a plate and just liked this better than the factory over/under lap.

5. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Is the color of your car 60 Light Copper?

6. marks73

marks73 New Member

here is a couple of pic 's after sanding. Looks like 1/2 deep but surrounding metal look ok as there is some pitting. definitely some bondo build up by the drip rail. I suppose as hd_cat suggested, I could fill this with a cap. I believe the factory used solder for the original mend? not sure if this can be done again? I don't see any rust on the inside, but it also is very hard to see as the area is covered by a metal flap. Thoughts?

Yesterday, I removed all the window trim and drip rails and hood moldings, so this project is now on the launch pad. While I consider myself pretty handy, Im not an expert when it come to body work. Anyone might know of a reasonable body shop in the San Fernando area of southern California? Thanks

ok metal surrounding it, but this is a 1/2 583ED102-AAC7-49C1-9067-3E8DB3D33A13.jpeg 444CE879-7B60-45EA-B018-D154ED10DD08.jpeg

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I can see why the factory used lead. That a grand canyon to fill with bondo.

8. marks73

marks73 New Member

so yes it is assembled, I was going to take the hood, fenders, doors and deck lid off, to get media blasted, and then sand or chemical strip the roof and quarter panels. They will epoxy prime after blasting. I figure this would be the fastest and most complete way of proceeding? welcome your input. thanks

9. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is not how it left the factory
    They were spot welded together

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member