73 RS/LT My Way

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by blazerman, Dec 1, 2009.

1. 1972borden

1972borden Veteran Member

Hey earlysecond,it is nice to someone so close that has a early second generation camaro.Mine is a 1972.How bout yours?Maybe I will run into ya somewhere.Oh by the way my car has all the original suspension so it was just the wheels and tire combo I changed.It is basically the same height tire and wheel,just more wheel...lol

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. weircc

weircc New Member

the stance is killer as far as the paint scheme im sure what ever you do will look killer im just not a big fan of cortez silver because every third camaro you see is that color,not saying they don't look good i just like to see something different

Attached Files:

3. blazerman

blazerman Member

Thanks for the encouragement (everybody)! I will snap a pic when I get a second of the subframe notch - it is not a small one. Making the shorty headers fit was a pita but I think worth it in the long run, like I said nothing hanging below the frame.

4. blazerman

blazerman Member

The ball joint mod was because of the narrowed track up front. Instead of spending a grand on narrowed tubular arms that really do nothing for you besides look cool I bought all of the suspension parts required to narrow track and lower the car including springs and spindles for about $500. The ball joints are installed so that the spindle is at stock height relative to the control arm, just relocated 1" inboard. The upper control arms from speedway are super inexpensive and I have personally raced them with no issues. They also take big ball joints that raise the pivot on the uppers giving you better camber gain. I had the ball joint reamer so it was no big deal but even if you bought one they are like $70.

5. blazerman

blazerman Member

Thanks for the compliment! I firmly believe that the wheels/tires and stance are the 2 most important aspects (paint is 3rd) of any hot rod or street machine. You can have a primered beat up pos (and I have) but if it sits right it still makes you look. The trouble with most cars is they don't like to sit this low without some hard modifications but I still think it is well worth the effort. That is why I worked so hard to tuck the wheels and keep everything as far off the ground as possible. Big wheels are a tricky thing. I think on some cars 20s look killer, on others it makes them look like a cartoon. The guy I bought these wheels off of put 18s on his (gorgeous) 72 Z28 and I think they are pushing it. 20's don't work on these cars at all imo. I think the width & backspacing on the rears make a big difference on this car.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  6. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Awesome, love it!!

7. blazerman

blazerman Member

Believe me, I have waffled many times on color but I keep going back to 2 things - timelessness and what catches my eye every time and silver is it. It is also an understated and clean look that is easy to maintain (which is good for me). Funny you posted an orange one as that is my second choice but I think that color is the most common one I see. I am absolutely staying away from unusual colors because they date a car fast (ask me about the early 90's iroc teal:confused:) and black is out because it is a nightmare to keep up. Who knows, I may still change my mind but I doubt it. Thanks for the input though and if that one in the pic is yours it is sweet!

8. blazerman

blazerman Member

Thanks, I am jealous of your nearly complete car, looks awesome. I give you a lot of credit for the green, I would not have the stones to use that color but seeing it done I think it looks killer. My wife would pull her support for my project if I went with green and you know what that means...................

9. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well is anybodys car ever finished.

10. marc_b

marc_b Veteran Member

mine is .... ha ha.... I WISH. just when you think your done you think of something else you can do.

other than that car looks awsome blazerman. as you heard before stance looks great. keep the updates coming.