73 Staggered rear shocks

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Staggered shocks reduce wheel hop. If you put both of them on the same side of the axle, the car becomes almost undrivable when good power is applied to the rear end. Ask people how their '67 Camaros and early Novas handle power with same-side shocks.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
Brett Hogg said:
All, can you tell me the reason behind staggered rear lower shock mounts. Should i leave them like this, is there a mod to make them both the same?

GM designed the staggered set up to help control/eliminate wheel hop

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Yep - the early 67 Camaros has non staggered shocks and their rear ends were pogo sticks

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Still....I've read a long topic on YB about putting both shocks to the rear of the rear end what should improve straight line acceleration, what should reduce wheel hop too. Will try to find the link.

Last edited:

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
camaro71/holland said:
Still....I've read a long topic on YB about putting both shocks to the rear of the rear end what should improve straight line acceleration, what should reduce wheel hop too. Will try to find the link.

On a stock 2nd gen rear suspension?

Dave Nelson

Veteran Member
Dec 19, 2003
Vineland N.J USA
camaro71/holland said:

This is true on a ladder bar or 4 link suspension with coil over adjustable shocks.

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Can't find the exact topic of course. Thinking about it, I remember now that the discussion was about the benefits of mounting the shocks directly to the rear end, not to the lower shock mount.

camaro71/holland

Veteran Member
Aug 27, 2003
The Netherlands
DSCN0865-medium.jpg

8f1cee2d.jpg

SHOCK.jpg

Newshocks-4.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts