74-77 bumper strip end cap

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
That may very well be. I was just wondering if they just pried directly out or of the bumper rub strip had to be loosened and moved away from the bumper.
I loosen the rubber strip couple nuts and the piece came out easy. The replacements are already brittle as well. it’s been over 10 years maybe 13 since I messed with them and they were pretty well stuck in there , I had to loosen the strip to get all the tiny parts out. since then I’ve glued bits back here and there I find laying in the garage floor.

CamaroNmotion

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Plastic end caps was a poor design. The hot sun beating down on them dries them out and also color faded them, hence the crumbling. Second design of bumper rubber strips eliminates these ends caps. Does anyone know when the 2nd design style started? Repops of the rubber strips are available and you have the option to glue on end caps if so desire. Maybe best thing is get the replacement and forget about the ends and problem solved.

younda

Veteran Member
Jun 26, 2015
MA USA
Second design of bumper rubber strips eliminates these ends caps. Does anyone know when the 2nd design style started? Repops of the rubber strips are available and you have the option to glue on end caps if so desire. Maybe best thing is get the replacement and forget about the ends and problem solved.

Not sure what the 2nd design is. Were they similar to the aftermarket style pictured below? (apparently not available). These end caps look like they might be the same material as the strips (?)

cc.jpg

CamaroNmotion

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I have a spare (beat up) front rubber strip that I pulled off a '75-'77 Camaro in the junkyard some 35 years ago. This is what I meant by 2nd design.
P1010113.JPG
P1010114.JPG

Jan 15, 2018
Orchard Park NY
I’m interested in a solution as well. I was thinking about removing the rubber completely and filling the void. Not sure if that’s possible. The bumpers would be painted at some point.

younda

Veteran Member
Jun 26, 2015
MA USA
Goal was to stay under $50 for set of four but we’ll see if that’s realistic. The main thing is to make them to look good, fit right and made of a material that will hold up.

74_Camaro

Veteran Member
Feb 14, 2010
Olathe, KS > Dearborn, MI
I just found this thread and haven't been on the site in awhile. I'd be very interested in a set of the bumper impact strip caps!
I've never seen them sold anywhere in the 10+ years I've had this car. Not sure if they were ever sold over the counter at a dealer, so who knows if finding an NOS set is even possible.