74-77 bumper strip end cap

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by younda, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I loosen the rubber strip couple nuts and the piece came out easy. The replacements are already brittle as well. it’s been over 10 years maybe 13 since I messed with them and they were pretty well stuck in there , I had to loosen the strip to get all the tiny parts out. since then I’ve glued bits back here and there I find laying in the garage floor.

CamaroNmotion likes this.
  2. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Plastic end caps was a poor design. The hot sun beating down on them dries them out and also color faded them, hence the crumbling. Second design of bumper rubber strips eliminates these ends caps. Does anyone know when the 2nd design style started? Repops of the rubber strips are available and you have the option to glue on end caps if so desire. Maybe best thing is get the replacement and forget about the ends and problem solved.

3. younda

younda Veteran Member

Not sure what the 2nd design is. Were they similar to the aftermarket style pictured below? (apparently not available). These end caps look like they might be the same material as the strips (?)

cc.jpg

4. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

I have a spare (beat up) front rubber strip that I pulled off a '75-'77 Camaro in the junkyard some 35 years ago. This is what I meant by 2nd design.
    P1010113.JPG P1010114.JPG

5. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

I’m interested in a solution as well. I was thinking about removing the rubber completely and filling the void. Not sure if that’s possible. The bumpers would be painted at some point.

6. younda

younda Veteran Member

I’m getting close on these - hope to have a good reproduction in time for your Christmas stocking

74Z28GC3 likes this.
  7. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Do you have a price in mind?

8. younda

younda Veteran Member

Goal was to stay under $50 for set of four but we’ll see if that’s realistic. The main thing is to make them to look good, fit right and made of a material that will hold up.

9. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Shipping to Canada best guess would be $16 US again?

10. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

I just found this thread and haven't been on the site in awhile. I'd be very interested in a set of the bumper impact strip caps!
    I've never seen them sold anywhere in the 10+ years I've had this car. Not sure if they were ever sold over the counter at a dealer, so who knows if finding an NOS set is even possible.