74 Exhaust on an 81?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jophish, May 23, 2014.

1. jophish

jophish Veteran Member

Potentially looking at a transverse muffler setup for my 81. Jegs has a good deal on this Thrush setup:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/89021/10002/-1

I'm assuming that this only lists up to 74 because it doesn't include cats. Any reason other than that that it wouldn't fit my 81?

I'm not afraid of doing some cutting/welding to fine tune the fit, just want to make sure that I'm not going to be going through it piece by piece.

Thanks in advance!

2. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

I don't see why it wouldnt fit, but 75-81 Camaros do have a slightly different floor and trunk pan. The attachment points for the muffler may not be there?

3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

If you aren't planning on using cats then there will be no problem. he 75 and later cars had more room under the floor for the exhaust. The only problem I could see would be if you were using stock manifolds,and there would be an issue with a heat riser or flange,but I doubt even that would be different.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

There was also a change in the parking brake cabling so it might not fit the early style dual exhaust system correctly.

5. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    I believe Terry (twisted_metal) has the Thrush system on his car. He is using shortie headers with it. I don't remember him having any problems with the install. Good luck.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

You had to jinx me didn't you??? I was giving Frankie a once over a few days ago,and noticed that one of the mufflers was hitting the floor. I figured that was the cause of the nasty hum at idle. I took a pry bar and moved the muffler down a bit. The next day I decided to set the idle speed so that the engine didn't sound like it was going to stall out when it was idling in gear with he a/c on. I set the brake,put I in drive,turned on the a/c and adjusted the idle. Well wouldncha know the hum came back. As it turns out the cable was smashing the exhaust to the floor,and even after the brake was released the pipe stayed up. I just went out there an hour ago and tried to back off the cable so that I could disconnect it and reroute it over the pipes,but the adjuster was super rusty,so I just disconnected the cable for now. Grrrr!

7. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

I have that kit on my 79. I could never get the tail pipes to look right, so I cut them off flush with the quarter panel. It looks great, and sounds even better without the tail pipes. Throw the mounts they include in the trash, I ended up ordering stock replacement muffler hangers and modifying them to fit. It was a pain in the ass for me to get everything lined up, at least part of that is my inexperience. The H-pipe makes bolting up the headers a pain, so I used band clamps. Any other questions send me a PM

8. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

I have the same kit on an 80. Fit was not the greatest; took a little bit of work it make it go where I wanted, and eventually it did. I also have the issues with the park brake cables. I left a good 1" clearance or better between the floor and pipes, and the cables for the e-brake rub ever so slightly on the pipes. I never did, but I'm sure you could built an adapter/linkage to hold the cables down and away a bit, or over/above the pipes.

I have a lowered car, and drive it on the streets regularly, so manhole covers and odd bits were a concern for me, hence the choice to go with a transverse system. Very happy with it now.

Also, throw away the clamps and get band clamps. They won't wreck your pipes, and will make disassembly easier in case of transmission change, tank drop, etc.

9. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

I recommend saving for a pypes system

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Toss the rear hangers... I hung the whole thing from the stock mounting points above the ends of the transverse muffler and the headers.

I had to build adapters for the shorty headers.

+1 on band clamps.