74' LT-LT1 swap, resto-mod-revival

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by thedoctorisin, Apr 16, 2013.

1. thedoctorisin

thedoctorisin Member

a couple weeks ago i picked up a 74 LT camaro for 500$. (pre-smog) Cali car with some surface rust, a few dings along the sides, some rust pin holes in the trunk and a little behind the rear fender wells. NO engine, trans, brakes, etc. strictly a rolling chassis... but the rear end is making some bad clunking noises as i roll it around the drive way so i think thats toast too. I do have most of the interior but i dont know how much ill keep (if looking for parts hit me up).

plans...

- i pulled front and rear glass, chrome trim, all the interior, fixing any rust issues, filling low spots, and getting it prepped for paint. (going to repaint original bright blue or light blue)

- im going to put a LT1 into it with the EFI, no carb swap. ive done it before on my 79' cutlass and helped my buddy do a few LT1 swaps in his rides, so i have all the info i need for the wiring and fuel system and a lot of extra parts.

- i was also thinking of swaping in a dash and front seats from a 4th gen camaro or trans am. but still in the thinking process... ive seen them and its a good look in these cars... hard to find good condition parts out here in cali.

- i might also have a hook ok a 79-80 camaro i could snatch some parts from but no official hook.

- i want to put my own flare to the interior and cover the plastic panels in head liner material, but still waiting to decide on interior color.

anyway just throwing out some of my ideas, might go against some purists but this car was on the way to the crusher before i picked it up so i want to take advantage of a nice pre-smog project. (smog laws suck in cali- PITA the smog and reg my cutlass...) ill get some pics up if i can ever get them to upload from my phone... i think ill wait till i get some more progress to show.

2. Cowman

Cowman Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi, welcome to the site!

Sounds like you've picked up a great base car and I'm glad to hear you've saved another from the crusher! Build it how you like, sounds like you've got some cool ideas - watching with interest and looking forward to seeing some pics.

3. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Welcome to Nasty...

I am not a purist but a resto mod person like you so your ideas are great. Do with it what makes you happy. Tuche on the smog laws here in Cali. They are just pathetic as well as our DMV. LOL

Well another Big Bumper 2nd gen is saved. Love it

4. thedoctorisin

thedoctorisin Member

mr golf, your shaved front bumper in your pic... amazing. i was thinking of that mod the other day. now im a bit more inspired to follow up some leads on parts. one thing at a time though haha. going to check out a late second gen parts car in a few. tomorrow night picking up a lt1 harness ecm and seats.

5. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

LOL, anything to be different. Post pics of your ride. Love to see it.

6. rvalley

rvalley Veteran Member

we need pics. thank god for more big bumper projects.

7. thedoctorisin

thedoctorisin Member

i cant figure out how to change my photo size to fit in the 100kb parameter on this macbook im using. cant seem to figure out on my smart phone either. as soon as i figure it out ill be posting.

8. Kricka

Kricka Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice to see another LT1 swap. I use Photobucket to store pictures online, it is easy to use.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  9. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kricka, where is your build thread? Looks good!

10. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Kricka
    What wheels are those. I love that look.