74 Owners

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by Steve's 74, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmer

Jimmer Veteran Member

Thank you very much olestyle! Excellent!

2. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No problem ;)
    Just sorry I didn't think of my assy. manual sooner :innocent:

3. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

One more piece needed:

Well I scored 3 NOS rear Valance LT trim piece's, still need 1 of the long ones to complete.

4. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

AWESOME !! Thats the first ones I've even heard of NOS being found. :crazy:

5. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

Sorry to disagree with you, but since the red Z28 in the picture is my car I know its heritage. It has never had the wide lower rocker moldings. I would certainly remember grinding off the mounting studs and filling in the screw holes. If you look carefully at your assembly manual UPC 0, Sheet E1, "Paint & Trim - Exterior Ornamentation 1F00 & Z28" you will see that the wide lower moldings are not part of the package.

To summerize the lower rocker molding packages.

1FQ87 - Wide lower moldings
    1FQ87 with Z28 - No lower moldings
    1FS87 All - Thin lower moldings with black paint below.

6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry but, My car is original 14K car is Z28 Sport coupe , original paint and it came shipped from Norwood with wide lower rocker molding., as did Blaketrees original green Z28 Sport Coupe as did teen dream SILVER one owner Z28 sport coupe came this way , as well as three other medium code 75red Z28 sport coupes brand new at my local dealership in VA in 1974. and probally 50 others I've seen in the past two years. ;) Anyway.. I love the clean serious look of your red car.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

I guess the rocker trim guy must have been asleep when my car rolled down the line in August of 73, because there was absolutely no sign of the rocker molding mounting studs when I restored my car and yes I did all of the work myself. I wonder if the same trim guy was putting Z28 fender emblems on cars with the D88 stripes when Richards car was coming down the line (along with about 50 other incorrect 74 Z28's that I have seen). Guess I will just go back to my self imposed exile from this site and keep what little knowledge I have to my self.

8. blakestree

blakestree Veteran Member

You don't wanna play with us, anymore? Awwwww.

There are several things we disagree on, here. You don't have to be so defensive.

Are you the original owner of your car? If not, have you considered that your rocker panels may have been replaced?

9. 1974Z28

1974Z28 Veteran Member

I am the 2nd owner, it was a Texas car with no rust it still has the original orange primer underneath. I do my own work and have had the rockers down to bare metal I would know if they had been replaced. I went back and checked some pictures from 1978 the orginal owner had given me and it did not have any rocker moldings then.

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

its always easier to blame the line guy about a cars discrepancies . what about the 50 (per side) or so inspectors that the car passed on the line too. you didn't actually think that the cars weren't inspected did you ? each inspector has their "punch " to punch the ticket on the car , including final inspection where all exterior and interior pieces were checked ??? shouldn't they get a little blame too !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.