74 Type LT tail panel trim install question

erials

Apr 9, 2019
Didn’t want to hi jack the previous thread on the subject so I thought to start another thread with my question. I have a set of these that were removed from my car years ago by the PO for a re paint that came with my car when I bought it. The adhesive backing on these is no longer any good.

What’s the best way folks have found to re install these ? Do you use 3m emblem adhesive, weatherstrip adhesive or some other kind of adhesive?

Ricks72Z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 1, 2005
Great question....my plan is to use the 3M adhesive after I remove the factory adhesive from my NOS trim pieces.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
3M Emblem adhesive is very strong stuff... Consider it permanent.
(You probably won't ever get that trim off without damaging it if you use it.)

The double sided emblem tape is a little thick for something you want to lay nice and flat against the surface, IMO.
It works very well and ha been the standby product for decades.

To be sure... Are you talking about the trim around the tail lights and the rear emblem?
66575908-770-0@2X.jpg

The 3M "Press In Place" adhesive might be just the ticket for that job.

It's not cheap but it simplifies the job.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
When I first heard about 3M Press n Place I bought a pack and for $hits and giggles tried it on some emblems I made for my truck. There still on there and it's been many years. It's great for odd shaped emblems like mine, or letters. I haven't used their plastic and emblem adhesive since. It dries out over time and can etch paint. If you get some where it's not supposed to be, good luck getting it off. If you are talking about the bright metal molding strips (that always fall off) at the top and bottom of the rear body panel below the deck lid, I would use 2 sided tape.

Attachments

• X Ten 001.JPG
    X Ten 001.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 230
  • X Ten 005.JPG
    X Ten 005.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 204

Ricks72Z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 1, 2005
For my purpose I’m talking about the 4 pieces that attach to the rear valance.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Did a 74 get the rear aluminum trim piece?

For that piece, I would definitely use the double sided 3M emblem tape around the perimeter.

It would give you a chance to remove something that size without wrecking it.
(You can cut through it with fishing line.)

erials

Apr 9, 2019
Just to clarify I’m talking about the 4 pieces of chromed rubber trim tha go around the center of the tail light panel. Sounds like the 3m product is the way to go on these. Thanks everyone.