74 Valve cover brackets for spark plug wires

74Z28GC3

Veteran Member
Sep 1, 2000
North Pole, Alaska
Oh how nice of an idea younda! It’s a shame that there are not any NOS that are available any where. It is hard to believe that GM did not produce many of them. I have been searching Ebay for quite a few years and I have never seen any of their site for sale.

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
RightFrontVLVCVR74Z28.jpg

is it possible to make them in the grey color like the factory ones? I suppose some SEM paint would work.

younda

Veteran Member
Jun 26, 2015
MA USA
I don’t know about making them a custom color but I did think about painting. Using a phone app to color match I come up with this color. It has a green/grey tone.
The image to to right is a photo (partial) of the original part.
C1DCDCBE-7C38-497C-8F53-17FB5ABA9CCC.jpeg

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
Yes they were only on about 3000+ cars at the end of 74’s production. There was also a couple other 8MM retainers on the 2 year valve cover clips and another 8MM retainer (4 wire I think?) on the pilots side. Very rare. I’ve never seen a NOS example in 10 years of searches

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
And I'm wondering if these are an HEI '74 Camaro z28 part only, like the air cleaner with the "big dent".
LOL…Another curious GM gizmo that’s apparently associated with Camaro HEI is the little spring steel metal clip that is screwed to the shelf above the firewall in front of the vents , it makes contract with the hood with its sharp edges as the hood is closed down into the latched position . I’m guessing …this is some extra grounding protection for the HEI module from evil stray static charges . I ve only noticed this clip on HEI equipped cars . I ‘ve actually seen this item on eBay once or twice NOS in GM boxes . I don’t know if this was continued on 75 models or not , but I think it was used on other GM divisions cars .

Last edited:

Latest posts