74 Valve cover brackets for spark plug wires

CamaroNmotion

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
As a ‘74 owner myself I’ve been very interested in the trivia too. Another example is how many Camaros were built after April ‘74? Nasty numbers don’t go beyond that but from anything I’ve read the ‘74s may have been built into early September. Zfools car iirc was built in august.
It's just not Nasty's information OR lack of numbers data, everything I have read (and there was lots) has blanked out monthly totals for the rest of production months. How can this be in todays day and age, blows my mind?

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I sure don't know why that would be such a secret. I've just been curious how many '74 camaros were built on a monthly basis May-Sept that year. You're right that it is a bit mind blowing.

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
Just a guess and opinion from being on this site , car shows, articles , and based on nothing more than observed cars passed by my eyeballs on eBay, and TV car auctions . There was a lot of Camaros being built the last quarter and sales were steady , I think they were going full steam ahead . But, if you are talking just Z28 , the answer is definitely no , there was a corporate cut off for placing an order at some point , in itself this alone would slow down the production of Z28 slowly but surely. Use up the stack of parts for a special option that won’t be produced in 1975 model year, have enough on hand to complete the orders . Fill promised orders . It seems by mid last model year quarter Z28 were coming off line in a trickle compared to early production . August built Camaros are fairly common , but not Z28 built the last three weeks of August …from my observations , it was being wound down , orders for filled . When you divide the HEI production timeline …which was was short , into months , weeks , days and then shifts …it’s a drop in the bucket of total Camaros coming off the line per shift. Even then , this number seems drop significantly as the last few weeks of the model year .Many years ago , I sat down an ruffed out some guesstimate numbers , but I lost track of that noodling ….i figured nobody cared ,it was just for my own curious little mind.

Last edited:

CamaroNmotion

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Just a guess and opinion from being on this site , car shows, articles , and based on nothing more than observed cars passed by my eyeballs on eBay, and TV car auctions . There was a lot of Camaros being built the last quarter and sales were steady , I think they were going full steam ahead . But, if you are talking just Z28 , the answer is definitely no , there was a corporate cut off for placing an order at some point , in itself this alone would slow down the production of Z28 slowly but surely. Use up the stack of parts for a special option that won’t be produced in 1975 model year, have enough on hand to complete the orders . Fill promised orders . It seems by mid last model year quarter Z28 were coming off line in a trickle compared to early production . August built Camaros are fairly common , but not Z28 built the last three weeks of August …from my observations , it was being wound down , orders for filled . When you divide the HEI production timeline …which was was short , into months , weeks , days and then shifts …it’s a drop in the bucket of total Camaros coming off the line per shift. Even then , this number seems drop significantly as the last few weeks of the model year .Many years ago , I sat down an ruffed out some guesstimate numbers , but I lost track of that noodling ….i figured nobody cared ,it was just for my own curious little mind.
I believe your spot on with your thinking. My father worked at the Ford stamping plant here for 35 years and every July (don't remember what part of the month) they had plant shut down for 2-weeks. During that time the employees that stayed on did die switch's to get ready for following year changes. Assume this was across board all car manuf. Also recall last chance to order a car was something like July 8th for that model year.

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
Curious where you found those numbers?
Curious where you found those numbers?
1F609543-E644-45C7-9A66-B2A3E63801CF.jpeg

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
I’ve reached out to several people who worked for AC as well as Chevrolet through the 70’s. One gentleman told me there were years that they had problems supplying parts. I asked about the HEI and the Air box issues. He put me in contact with his supervisor on Linkdon but the guy never responded. He was easily in his late 70’s. I keep asking around. I’ve found two with the 73 CZ air box. One 33,000 mile and the other was totaled and put away in 75-76. The guy I talked to scrapped the car and boxed up the motor and kept the Trim tag. It was a late August car as well. I think the only hope for t10 numbers would be if someone clears out the basement at WG and finds it. I think the July August car numbers were surprise orders.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I’ve reached out to several people who worked for AC as well as Chevrolet through the 70’s. One gentleman told me there were years that they had problems supplying parts. I asked about the HEI and the Air box issues. He put me in contact with his supervisor on Linkdon but the guy never responded. He was easily in his late 70’s. I keep asking around. I’ve found two with the 73 CZ air box. One 33,000 mile and the other was totaled and put away in 75-76. The guy I talked to scrapped the car and boxed up the motor and kept the Trim tag. It was a late August car as well. I think the only hope for t10 numbers would be if someone clears out the basement at WG and finds it. I think the July August car numbers were surprise orders.
What is a "73 CZ air box"?