74 VIN and Engine Code

BARNFIND

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
^ That's my thought too.

The trim tag looks like it belongs to 74 Z28 but the screws holding it to the body are the wrong type.
(There shouldn't be any washers there either.)
Yep, I mentioned the screws above. If it weren't for the engine, I would have a hard time getting any one to believe that it is a real Z28.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Good eyes on the screws. I checked mine and and the ones in the pic do look replaced. However, if replaced, that was done a long time ago.

BARNFIND

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
Good eyes on the screws. I checked mine and and the ones in the pic do look replaced. However, if replaced, that was done a long time ago.
Yes, the screws should like this:
Trim-Tag003.jpg

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
I bet my paycheck the engine Stamp is original To that block .

What I would not want is the chore of trying to sell the car with the misstamped vin. Frustration would creep in on me after trying to explain it 1000 times.
Begs the question is actual the count of Z28’s now 13,802 +1 …..13803 as one was stamped as a fighting 6 cyl. By a worker out to lunch ..lol

Were they Smoking weed during their breaks ? LOL

Last edited:

BARNFIND

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
I am not going to disclose the other oddity about this car until I can pull the A/C suitcase off the firewall to look at the hidden VIN. I did buy it super cheap because of the odd VIN though.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Pull the blower motor off the evaporator case.

If you have a "camera scope", I think you can read the VIN through that hole, rather than removing the whole case.
(Unless you're planning to remove the A/C, replace the evaporator or prefer to do things the hard way. ;) )

The hidden VIN should be just above the rectangular hole for the heater core area.

BARNFIND

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
GPS WENT DEAD...LOST
Pull the blower motor off the evaporator case.

If you have a "camera scope", I think you can read the VIN through that hole, rather than removing the whole case.
(Unless you're planning to remove the A/C, replace the evaporator or prefer to do things the hard way. ;) )

The hidden VIN should be just above the rectangular hole for the heater core area.
One of the previous owners removed all the AC stuff except the evap case so I am going to replace it with a delete box ( I have to replace the leaking heater core) so I will look at the VIN then.