74 Z resto

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Well this spring and summer have been lost. I tore my quad tendon 90% or more and had surgery 4 weeks ago. I’m probably looking at abort 3 months before I can go back to work. Who knows the Doctors don’t like to say much as far as time goes. Research tho I’ve been doing a little of that Haa.
Hey zfool. Hope all is well. Anything new on this project?

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
LOL ...you archived my door panel....thats ok !
Interesting. So, yours is a very late production '74. Have you ever found any monthly production numbers for '74 Camaros after April '74? I've had no success at all for finding monthly production numbers after April '74.
https://nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro74.html#spotter
Mine is built April 15/74 and the last 6 digits are 189769 but I've been curious about the monthly numbers until the last of the production.

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
I don't have any stats . My Camaro was bult the 4 th week of August . I believe camaros were certainly built in to Sept . The guy i got it from was a major collector as in maybe 100 camaro s ". all 2 gen , it was his gig . It had lived a hard life , if not a race car , he brought it back from the dead . I ve only seen one other so late Z , yet its number was before mine, i seen maybe 6-8 3 rd week August Z's . He told me , there was a cut off point to order the Z28 , back in April,or May , i have no idea if thats really true . He said there was a radio ad back in the day about get you order in . Just observing over th past 10 years , it seems like every month the amount of Z28 decreased dramatically from maybe May ? He felt the car was worth saving anyway because of the build date . I do have the build sheet .

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I don't have any stats . My Camaro was bult the 4 th week of August . I believe camaros were certainly built in to Sept . The guy i got it from was a major collector as in maybe 100 camaro s ". all 2 gen , it was his gig . It had lived a hard life , if not a race car , he brought it back from the dead . I ve only seen one other so late Z , yet its number was before mine, i seen maybe 6-8 3 rd week August Z's . He told me , there was a cut off point to order the Z28 , back in April,or May , i have no idea if thats really true . He said there was a radio ad back in the day about get you order in . Just observing over th past 10 years , it seems like every month the amount of Z28 decreased dramatically from maybe May ? He felt the car was worth saving anyway because of the build date . I do have the build sheet .
My math puts your car as only 1920 cars before the end of the '74 model year, so I'm betting there's darned few Z's built after yours.

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
yeah...its near the end . i ve yet to see a Sept of 1974 built Z28. The way it was explained to me there was a spectic order cut off to get a Z28 in the que , and once those were built or filled , that was the end ...maybe to move the Z28 parts out of the way off the lines for 75's I m not sure how many cars were built a day , i guess there were at least two shifts given the popularity. even 2000 cars would only be maybe two weeks worth? I understand it was a Corp. planned event , to wind down the Z28 and use up those special items and not have more parts built, since the option was canceled .

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
yeah...its near the end . i ve yet to see a Sept of 1974 built Z28. The way it was explained to me there was a spectic order cut off to get a Z28 in the que , and once those were built or filled , that was the end ...maybe to move the Z28 parts out of the way off the lines for 75's I m not sure how many cars were built a day , i guess there were at least two shifts given the popularity. even 2000 cars would only be maybe two weeks worth? I understand it was a Corp. planned event , to wind down the Z28 and use up those special items and not have more parts built, since the option was canceled .
And I don’t know how long it takes to retool a plant for the next year but the stats still show in excess of 50,000 camaros built in sept 74 as ‘75 models.

sorry, there were 11248 sept/74 built ‘75s

Last edited:

Latest posts