74 Z resto

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
It was pure luck. There was a guy selling some wire sets online. I sent him a message as I’d done 100 times before if he had any HEI 8MM Packard sets. He sends a photo of two sets with the retainers. One 3Q/74 V8 and one 3Q/77 for a L6. My best day for parts finds in several years. Just keep bothering people lol. Also Cadillac had HEI in 74 for 75 model as did the Monza\Sunbird. Both started production in September as well. The caddy has different ends but the wire is the correct wire. Hope the info helps if you’re looking or searching for set numbers. The sets with the retainer are possibly a diff # as well.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
It was pure luck. There was a guy selling some wire sets online. I sent him a message as I’d done 100 times before if he had any HEI 8MM Packard sets. He sends a photo of two sets with the retainers. One 3Q/74 V8 and one 3Q/77 for a L6. My best day for parts finds in several years. Just keep bothering people lol. Also Cadillac had HEI in 74 for 75 model as did the Monza\Sunbird. Both started production in September as well. The caddy has different ends but the wire is the correct wire. Hope the info helps if you’re looking or searching for set numbers. The sets with the retainer are possibly a diff # as well.
Late ‘74 Monte Carlos with a 454 also had HEI. I won’t need because my ‘74 has points ignition however, thanks to this site I’ve learned that the changeover to HEI occurred the same week my points car was built.

And congrats on your find!

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I appreciate it. It’s def unique and needs to be on the road.
One question. IIRC, this car is a "late" '74. There's been some discussion in another thread that very late '74s may have had the front emblem on the header panel instead of the grille. Further, I believe your grille was originally missing. However, are you able to tell whether you had a header panel emblem or grille emblem?

zfool

Veteran Member
May 19, 2014
Rochester, MN
One question. IIRC, this car is a "late" '74. There's been some discussion in another thread that very late '74s may have had the front emblem on the header panel instead of the grille. Further, I believe your grille was originally missing. However, are you able to tell whether you had a header panel emblem or grille emblem?
There was no holes in the header. All original paint. There were two broken parts of the original grill in the trunk.

Latest posts