74Z at local car show, no stripe

Z28PILOT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 8, 2009
Emerald Isle , NC
So maybe it was born with stripes...then removed so somebody decided to put on emblems, but in the wrong spot.
If this car doesn’t have the original engine , does the replacement engine out of another car have to have all the z28 smog items of the original 74 engine to pass inspection ?

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
pretty sure power brakes were std equipment included in the 1974 Z28 option . I don’t see a pwr brake booster ??

Also , they left the little HEI hood Ground strap on the cowling….and maybe I just can’t see it , but the trim plate appears to be missing , I did blow up the pic , MIA ?

and yes no doubt the z28 emblems on fender are too far back towards the door.

it is a nice looking silver Camaro body. , straight looking. Nice rake to the stance .
Correct, according to my Canadian vintage GM documentation.

Jonesy

Veteran Member
Jun 7, 2008
Minnesota
Man I dont even know why I said that about the grille. With the 69 style grille emblem it got me thinking 69 z28 grille being silver or something.

KFORCE

Nov 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hey Guys, that's my car. I bought it on eBay for $10,000 13 years ago from Ohio, but it came from Georgia

Still trying to find if mine is the last Z28 built but I can't find a registry. Does anyone know of one? It is a very late build (08D) last week of August 08/74. #149,460 of 151,008 Camaro's built. Less than 1% were Z28's and 99% of all '74 Camaro's had already been built. Only 1548 Camaro's were built after mine.

I bought this car because my older sister's boyfriend showed up with the exact same optioned car new in 1974. I never forgot that first ride. So when I saw this I bought it immediately.

It was body worked but nothing else. It had every single nut, bolt, clip, and part from the factory still on it. The paint and Interior were nice, but underneath, under the hood, mechanically, it was all original but VERY KRUSTY. The front fenders and lower rear quarters had been replaced, from a donor car is my guess. There were no Q-panels available back then unless you could find NOS. Next to impossible since they were one year only.

The original engine is being restored now. It literally had not had a single thing removed from it except the water pump. It was an original undercoat car so the floors are great. The suspension and brakes were badly rusted. Salvaged the rear springs, both sway bars, and the hubs and stored them. Put the Gen-2 Camaro Hotchkis suspension in it, 4-wheel discs, and dropped my Hot Rod 350 in it that I have used for years, for now, so I can drive it.

On non-Type LT cars, If stripes were not ordered, The car got Z28 emblems on both fenders, front grille, and rear panel. They put the Z28 emblems back on the fenders in the wrong place. The paint is so nice that I can't bring myself to move them. The rear foil Z28 decal, I put on the car. It is exactly where it is supposed to be. It's in the assembly manual. Lined up with the 'C' and the '28' sitting on the rear panel crease. My sister had some old faded pictures of that first car. I used them to make sure the front and rear emblems are in the correct place. The front grille is original. It is black plastic, not painted. It is correct. That grille is also one year only. And impossible to find. The wheels are US Wheel Aluminum Z28 5 Spoke replicas 17x8. I have the original wheels, caps, and rings in storage.

Door Tag.jpg VIN.jpg ZTrim.jpg ZBlock.jpg ZBooster.jpg ZEngine.jpg ZFender.jpg ZRear Emblem.jpg ZGrille1.jpg ZGrille2.jpg

Last edited:

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Maybe the fender emblems are stuck on with 2 way tape. If so, use a hair dryer to soften the tape to remove the emblem. I can’t see someone drilling holes if they didn’t know the exact location. If you open the door, can you see any emblem studs?

KFORCE

Nov 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Maybe the fender emblems are stuck on with 2 way tape. If so, use a hair dryer to soften the tape to remove the emblem. I can’t see someone drilling holes if they didn’t know the exact location. If you open the door, can you see any emblem studs?
They are pinned as the originals were. I am not actually sure the fenders were replaced. I just assumed because of the placement of the emblems. But after learning of the slotted right side inner fender maybe not.