75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Cleaned up my garage a bit since the tear down, I wanted to actually do stuff, but it took longer than I expected.
    Got the entire front end on my top shelf, so thats nice
    IMG_20200222_184016.jpg
    I took off the seat cover on the seats, driver side, total junk. Passenger side is actually decent. I'll try to sell it but if no one buys it by March 6th I'm throwing it away as Bumblebee had Chevelle seats.
    IMG_20200222_173936.jpg
    I'll take off the tracks and sell those though as I know some people need them.
    I found these weird things on my fender, they were on the other fender as well in almost exactly the same spot, anyone know what these are? Look like weld, but I wouldn't know why they would be there on almost the same location.
    IMG_20200222_172250.jpg
    Finally, here is the lower valance panel. Honestly, after looking it over a bit, it's not the worst thing in the world, I can probably fix that with fiberglass, the only "issue" is one of the bolt holes.
    IMG_20200222_181121.jpg IMG_20200222_181125.jpg IMG_20200222_181132.jpg IMG_20200222_181204.jpg
    Also, I found out I didn't actually break it, it was already broken. What was spinning was one of the retainer clips. So that makes me feel better it's not my fault I guess

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That's body filler

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

if that's the case, I wonder if it was used to fill trim holes as I can't think of any other reason it would be in the same spots on both sides

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Yesterday was Bee's last day running for a long time....because we ripped out it's heart and legs.
    Here is the video of it running that I took so I can sell the motor
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/wfiFtypEaRZyLpte9
    Anyways, we got a lot done yesterday...far more than we figured we would have, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves
    IMG_20200229_150923.jpg IMG_20200229_152349.jpg IMG_20200229_205002.jpg IMG_20200229_215731.jpg

We ended up taking the rear out of the car, I wasn't expecting to do that, just the engine (didn't know how long it would take, but taking the actually engine out was only about a 2 hour job) I got some furniture dollies to roll the car around, it's very light without the engine surprisingly, I'm sure some of you already knew that.

We turned my shell is crooked though, it doesn't sit flush when you set it down, only 3 corners. It's only a few millimeters though. Pretty sure it happened because someone jacked the car up form the subframe. Probably a common issue, and probably not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it.

Other than that, car is pretty solid we didn't discover any more rust than what I already knew, and I hope to keep it that way when I flip it over. I'm going to the store to buy wood today to make the wood jig. I probably won't flip it for a bit but we're getting very close.

We ended up able stuffing everything on one side of the garage and I was able to get my honda back in the garage, very surprised

IMG_20200229_220202~2.jpg

I feel like doing this might be the dumbest thing I've every decided to do, the more I took it apart the more scared I got of putting it back together. I do not intend on giving up though.

Side note because I'm Fin' crazy
    I'm thinking about getting IRS because right now my axle is an inch too long on both sides and makes the tires rub (didn't help the leafs were shot) The smart solution would be to get....smaller tires, or get a custom axle from moser....but you know whatever, it's my car and people already think what I'm doing is stupid.

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just be careful when you build your rotisserie , as I have seen people remove the overhead lights first flip, HAA HA , and you will be surprised at what falls out that you forgot to secure or remove

6. dave@ztech

I also thought that say, Heidts IRS was the cat daddy , however, after to speaking to people that used it, they said it sucked, and then after 4 link , they now say truck arm is the bomb, go figure, I went with a full floater , with leafs , and you can get that for a fraction of a IRS, just saying, and get the size you want 61.5 or smaller to get the fit you desire

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I'm sure there are bits we forgot, I actually forgot to mention a few things
    Build sheet wasn't above the gas tank like 8 hopped it was, so that sucks.
    I think the car was originally brown because that's what color it was when we removed the tank
    Someone did a lot of work under the car when it was blue, it it's pretty good..so I'm going to re do it with bed liner.

And finally, we couldn't figure out how to remove the ebrake cable to remove the rear axle, so we chopped it off.
    Felt pretty stupid when we figured out you could just pull it through, so one cable was chopped in half, the other is fine, might not need it anyways with what I plan on doing

I'm looking at a lot of options right now, nothing is set in stone, some say the heidts is good, some say it's bad, some say 4 link, some say 4 links have bad geometry, some say leafs are great.

Basically everyone has conflicting opinions on everything.

8. dave@ztech

Very true , I can give you the name of a guy that can get what ever you decide , probably for less then you can find, and he has experience with these and can give you feedback on all of the systems available , he drives and builds cars, so I usually listen to him, let me know if you want his info.

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Sure, doesn't hurt to ask questions, only way to learn is to ask.... Or screw it up

Edit:
    this didn't constitute a new post so I'm just going to make an edit. Bought the wood for the tip over jig, I won't be able to build it for a bit which is fine, but the materials are there.
    IMG_20200301_125317.jpg
    Plans can be found here https://restocar.com/blog/wooden-tip-over-jig/
    Only cost me $181 ($169 before tax, and I bought a few extra things so the estimate this guy gave was pretty accurate)
    Would prefer a metal rotisserie, but it's hard to re-sell those and $1000 that can be spent on car parts.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the link :)