75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Everyone around me says they'll remove the glass for 80-100 and can't promise me that they won't crack it
    which even if I didn't replace the front, my rear is "perfect" and I don't want to buy a new one
    I think I'm going to try and remove it myself with piano wire, that way if I break it, I didn't waste $100 on someone else breaking it. Because I'm more than capable of breaking it for free.
    To remove the trim, do I just slide a pick under the trim and pull on the clip? or is it more involved than that.

Got front and rear window off
    Front
    perfectly fine, if there is anything it's very minor
    the REAR THOUGH
    oh my god, the entire lip is rusted, some bits are fine and might need a wire wheel, but other parts, holes everywhere
    it's pretty bad
    there are holes that go to the rear quarters so I'll need to make sure nothing got infected from behind.
    IMG_20200303_153936.jpg
    Here are a lot of photos
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9xLXqLutoRpkD5j7

On the bright side
    both my windows didn't crack
    and I already knew the rust was there so I can't say I'm surprised

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You might be able to see more when you remove the cover that goes over the bars for the trunk lid , I think it is just a few screws to get it off.

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

It does, they're corroded pretty badly so I'm going to shoot it with oil for a few days before I attempt to break it

4. dave@ztech

Good idea, and try and find the best fit to remove them , easy to strip

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

As much as I would love to be using this time to be working on my car, my life hasn't really changed much because I'm an essential worker. Gotta make sure snobby sales people still have functioning computers. Anyways I bought the front spoiler for my car since it was "free" even though I won't be able to install it for a very long time.

After a lot of research I have also decided I will be getting the Chris Alston Torque arm. I want to buy it now....but I'm going to sit on my money as it feels too risky spending a lot right now. Instead, I'll be spending some money on certifications that will (hopefully) get me a raise since I already know all the material anyways.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    mrfleet12 and dave@ztech like this.
  6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Took apart the rest of the dash/vents of my car (didn't bother to take pictures as it was nothing special)
    Can't possibly fathom why the tach never worked though.....lol
    [​IMG]

Anyways, tomorrow, hopefully the car gets flipped over! I'll make sure to take pictures and a video. due to not being able to get masks though, the project might go on another standstill until I get a hold of one for a reasonable price. I will also have to buy my rear suspension as it requires me to weld it to the car. Will be the first major purchase and there will be no going back once I pull the trigger

7. dave@ztech

Don't forget to call Randy to get a price compare , I believe he can save you money. Funny about the tach, wonder why they did that, tach stopped working? Or was not correct for the car and they didn't know how to hook it up?

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I've just been using my respirator. I was able to find some filter replacements for it at Menards. They were only like 10 bucks for a 3 pack.
    They also had a complete respirator with one set of filters for like 20 bucks. Little more bulky than a particle mask but probably better for your lungs.

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

From what I have found with my multimeter, (and what I already knew worked) everything on my gauge cluster should work, the wiring in the car was just a total mess so I think they just dind't know how to hook it up. I did talk to randy about my rear though, he talked me out of the heidts IRS system as he doesn't believe it will accomplish what I'm looking for. I'm currently looking at a torque arm from chassisworks as that system seems to be better than a 4 link from DSE. 4 links are good for drag, torque is good for road racing. (at least, thats how it was explained to me) 3 link would be best, but it requires cutting into the car more than I'd want to.
    My arbitrary requirements is making this harder for me than it needs to be lol Half the conversations are telling me it's dumb because I should be using bigger rims all the time. They're not wrong....but I still determined to make it look like bumblebee.

I should probably get a full face respirator anyways, especially if I plan on painting the car myself. Thanks for the idea

10. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Ha. You think yours idea on wheels is being called dumb. Try being the guy with a Fast Times replica with a LT4/8L90E all hidden in movie trim on 225/70/15’s . Perhaps we have the same disease

while I plan to have some bigger meats available changing wheels all the time sucks.