75 Bumblebee LT4 Gen V swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SPG, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I was quoted $1800, $2500, and $3500 to blast my car

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did you go on Dustless Blasting's site? They tell the guys that buy the rigs they will be making big bucks, it doesn't take long for some to discover that to make money they will need to be a lot less, so check with body shops and look on the interwebs for people that are doing it for a reasonable price, and besides , they should be quoting a per hour price, should take no more then 10 hours, less if you have it all blown apart, and everything is taped up and ready for them to do the work, shop it more , and look for guys upto 50 miles away , also it is an easy clean, big tarp and that will catch all the wet sand, then let dry and find a use for it, trust me this is the easiest way to get years of paint and bondo of, with out having to use 3 different grades of sand paper to get the surface smooth, well no 80 grit lines

3. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

not a lot of places near me blast things, and if they do not cars, just rims for powder.
    The high price comes from the fact I want the entire car blasted, inside and out, not just the outside body panels.
    The $3500 would epoxy my car for me as long as I brought the epoxy. I'll continue looking, but the prices are discouraging and takes away suspension funds.

riccnick likes this.
  4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So, look on Dustless blasting site or even this search found 5 https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...2!2m1!1e1!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:14
    also, I would NOT do the inside, if you have a nice covering of surface rust inside, the is the perfect storm for POR-15 , that is what I did and it's rock hard, and after 3 years , nothing , so your hours would be more like 8 at the best, and its better if you remove the fenders doors and trunk lid, and do them seperate, and if they are not willing to come look at the car, and give you an idea of the true cost find someone else and call them , and dustless blasting typical costs are here http://www.blastkraft.com/dustless-blasting-price-guide.html , I really think you need to do as much research on this as you did, for the parts you needed to make your car Bumblebee , HAA HA , and I would really look at POR-15 for the interior , yes it needs some stringent prep, however, it works best with a little surface rust, really!!

5. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

aside from around the rear window, the car doesn't really have any rust (that we're aware of)
    I just wanted it all bare metal so when I cover it in SPI epoxy I know what was under it, and if any corners were cut, it would be my fault since the interior was already screwed with who ever owned it before me and rattle canned the car.
    I'll call around on Tuesday for more blasting options and see what I can do.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    dave@ztech likes this.
  6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Car is flipped over
    all the noises you hear are bolts I forgot about in the trunk, car feels fine, everything fits in the garage.

Jodi, dave@ztech and mrfleet12 like this.
  7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Cool video!
    Now are you able to move this, like in and out of your garage?

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Technically I can but I don't really have a need to.

My plan is to weld the torque arm suspension to it, get the bottom to bare metal as soon as I can, , spray SPI epoxy, then upol raptor. Flip it back over and take it off the wood jig as fast as I can. I'm sure it's fine....but I don't want this tipped on it's side for an extended period of time.

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

[​IMG]
    As you can clearly see my car is very clean and nothing really has to be done.....I'm going to strip it all off anyways

dave@ztech likes this.
  10. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

nice job! If you can get it outside I'd recommend soaking any areas with underbody sealer in oven cleaner and hitting it with a pressure washer or steam cleaner.

After x2-3 rounds of oven cleaner, degreaser and pressure washing you should be left with clean paint and surface rust, which makes way easier and more pleasant to work on, as well as ensuring you're not smearing bitumen, grease and dirt into the metal.