77 Camaro Blinkers Stopped working

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hey guys,

I have a 77 Camaro, and the front, rear, and dash blinkers just stopped working today.

What would cause all of this to stop at the same time ?

Just thought I’d ask in case it’s something simple before I start digging. The glass fuse looks good from what I can tell.

Thanks

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The most likely thing is the signal flasher unit. There should be two of them under the dash. The one plugged into the fuse panel is for the 4 way flashers, and a second one can be found mounted in a clip under the dash near the steering column. This second one is for signal lights.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Do the four-ways still work?

You can switch the two flasher units to see if the problem follows one of them.
No, actually nothing works at all. No lights, no blinkers, nothing.

The flashers work, but I know they’re on a different circuit. I replaced the switch, But nothing changed. Not really sure where to go from here.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
No, actually nothing works at all. No lights, no blinkers, nothing.

The flashers work, but I know they’re on a different circuit. I replaced the switch, But nothing changed. Not really sure where to go from here.
Sorry, let me clarify. When I say lights, I mean dash blinker lights. Headlights and everything else works in the car. It’s just the blinkers.

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
Grab yourself a test light and choose a place to start looking. I'd probably start at the flasher and see if it's getting power, then move on from there if not. I wiring diagram would help. You replaced which switch? And did you replace it because of this issue, or did this issue start after? I might be confused by your post.

Check that fuse with either a multimeter or the test light. Also, fuse panels can grow green stuff. Have a good look there as well.

Last edited:

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Grab yourself a test light and choose a place to start looking. I'd probably start at the flasher and see if it's getting power, then move on from there if not. I wiring diagram would help. You replaced which switch? And did you replace it because of this issue, or did this issue start after? I might be confused by your post.

Check that fuse with either a multimeter or the test light. Also, fuse panels can grow green stuff. Have a good look there as well.
I haven’t put a meter on it yet. I replaced the switch due to the issue. The fuse looks good. I believe there to only be one ?

I’ll check the voltage and report back here.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I think what Gary S and Twisted Metal were suggesting is what you should try first before you go through anything else. if you haven't done this yet, locate both flashers. Put the one from your blinkers into the 4 way socket. Put the one from the 4 way socket into the blinker socket. Switch them. See if the blinkers work and the 4 ways don't. If it works like that, you have a bad flasher.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Okay I did a little more testing and I’m curious to know what you guys think.

When the brake pedal is applied and you turn the right turn signal is on, the left turn signal is solid and doesn’t blink. The same applies when you turn the signal left with the brake pedal applied. The right light is solid in the rear of the car. The interior blinker on the cluster doesn’t do anything.

Any idea what this means ?

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
Sounds a bit like a flasher issue, from my limited experience. Almost sounds like a short, but the problem seems too "symmetrical"

Actually, on further reflection, it does sound like a short.