77 to 70 Motion Clone

MotionClone

Veteran Member
Jan 20, 2014
away from the crazies
So I picked up this 77 LT Camaro as a roller in November 2013. It has a 1970 front end and the original 77 tail. It came with lots of new parts and is relatively rust free for my area (Northeast).

My Plan is to restore/mod it into a 1970 Baldwin Motion tribute/clone. I know some here may scoff at such a thing but too bad. There arent many 2nd gen Camaros around in my area so this one should really stand out.

IMG_20131126_212133_014_zpsf963ac94.jpg

volsfan

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2008
daytona beach, fl
Moron!

Haha just kidding man! I couldn't resist after reading that other thread. Can't wait to see the progress. We love originality...and lots of pics! Welcome and good luck with the build!

MotionClone

Veteran Member
Jan 20, 2014
away from the crazies
I pulled the car into the shop about 3 weeks ago and already started in on the fun.

Here is my plan of attack for the shell:
-Strip car down to the shell
-Find the rust
-Cut out the rust and weld in new steel
-Replace the rockers (they are dented badly)
-Rebuild door hinges
-Re-skin doors
-Hang and align doors to rockers and existing rear quarters
-Cut off rear quarters
-Cut off trunk drop offs
-Cut off tail panel and inner crossrail.
-Hang new trunk dropoffs
-Hang new quarters
-Hang new inner crossrail and tail panel
-Fabricate trunk extension to extend from 77 trunk to 70 tail panel
-Put the new solid shell on the rotissarie for next stage.

HPIM2351_zps146d0e1b.jpg

HPIM2352_zps81d3c6f8.jpg

MotionClone

Veteran Member
Jan 20, 2014
away from the crazies
This car was on the road when i went to look at buying it. It had a 468 BB with 4spd Sag. Seller was kind enough to put the car on a lift for me to take a look at the underside. I found a small rust through at the rear underseat pan and the rear crossrail/trunk dropoffs. The frame rails and torqueboxes still had factory paint on them. I opted to buy it as a roller since he wanted way too much for it with the engine/trans.

It has 342 posi, line lock, 295s on the rear(they rub a little), and a ton of new (within a year) parts like: rear leafs, shocks, full dual exhaust( flowmaster), gas tank, new brake lines, body mounts, subframe connectors, brake booster, master cyl, drop spindles, front coils, powder coated and re-bushed upper and lower control arms, ball joints, Autometer guages, Jeggs bucket seats..etc. I even got new door and trunk gaskets still in the boxes

MotionClone

Veteran Member
Jan 20, 2014
away from the crazies
Wouldnt you know it, all of the subframe bolts came out just fine except the LAST ONE!!:mad: ....nut spun in its cage.

I cut a hole in the floor, hammered and welded the cage back and removed the bolt.

HPIM2356_zps2dff409d.jpg

MotionClone

Veteran Member
Jan 20, 2014
away from the crazies
I found this little problem with the subframe. All of the other mount holes where fine but this one was repaired incorrectly. They welded steel on top of the mount instead of flush with it. I'll have to deal with this later.

HPIM2357_zpsfc1efac0.jpg

Latest posts