77 Type LT Budget Build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ZerroHalfcup, Apr 3, 2019.

1. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

Big update. The car is finally home and in the garage. Time to get to work.
    IMG_20190608_141924_951.jpg

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I haven't seen one of those license plates in a long time. Glad you got it home.

ZerroHalfcup and brooksman9 like this.
  3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You coming out Thursday night? I plan to be there. Pat if you're not working come on out too.

4. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

I wasn't able to make it this past Thursday but I'm shooting to make it this coming week.

5. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

I agree with you, nothing about this car is financially a smart decision. However, if it means I can slowly build something with my dad and friends while learning along the way, that's worth it to me.

Cool! Thats the best way to learn, but sometimes it can be frustrating and even painful. Hang in there!!!

When I was learning, we didn't have the aftermarket like you guys have nowdays... We went to the salvage yards, found old 400's took the crank and rods and had them turned down to 350 mains, put 350 pistons on them and made 383's... the stock 400 cranks didn't like getting turned down to 350 mains though... As the years progressed, we got companies like PAW.. which I think is now out of business... We found that taking those 202 fuelie heads and having them rebuilt was just as expensive as buying a set of aluminum heads. I think the first set of aluminum heads I ever bought was when twisted wedge came out with their SBC heads... At one time, I bought cars and trucks that someone had started, and as someone already said, they had more money invested in them then they sold them to me for, which, is why I bought them and finished them... But, as you said, the vililification in doing it is ALL in the learning.. you can ALWAYS SAY.. "I built it myself!" There is a lot of satisfaction in that, not to mention the good memories. (And maybe a beer or two.)

6. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Looking forward to your build. Building a 77 myself at the moment. Still have the rear half of the rotisserie hooked up because it still serves a purpose.

7. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

Scott Sievers - Thanks, it's been fun so far, just wishing progress would move faster.

ZRODDER - Thanks, a rotisserie definitely seems like the best way to go.

If anybody knows of a reliable place to get full length floor pans, I'd like to find one for the passenger side. Worst case, I may be able to patch it together with front and rear pans but I am just assuming the worst since this is as far as I've gotten. The holes were cut out by the previous owner and if I ever hear the word rivet again I think I may throw whatever the closest object is clear across the room. I counted at least 50 just on the passenger side.
    20190615_165743.jpg

The driver side is a little better, and by better I mean not hacked out. Still needs replacing though.

20190615_141919.jpg

8. Clay K

Clay K Member

Yours looks a lot like mine. I went with the Golden Star full length floor pans with tunnel half and toe boards. I also got the under rear seat pan. I haven’t fitted them yet, but they look good. The only thing is that the toe board is one piece with it so you won’t get the factory overlap between the toe board and floor pan if that’s important to you. I picked mine up from Jeggs.com. That was the best price I found with shipping.

9. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at some there.

10. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

Cut some more metal out today. The pieces of the floor sticking up is the next to come out and then the front half of the inner rocker is next. Sorry if the lighting sucks, the sun was going down and I was getting hungry so I rushed it with the pictures.
    20190728_161442.jpg

20190728_173004.jpg
    I'm no expert but this floor brace looks a little tweaked to me. However, I haven't crawled under and compared it to the driver side yet. If it is tweaked, I would guess the popular vote would be to just replace it but does anybody think it is salvageable? Even though I've seen new braces for roughly $40, I'd like to repair it if possible because free is better than cheap.
    20190728_172835.jpg
    I know the lighting sucks but if anybody needs different angles of it let me know and I can take a couple pictures this week.