77 Z28 Engine Bracket Question

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Greg73Z28, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just started tear down of the 77 the other day, but haven't had time to post the pics to a progress thread yet, but it's coming. Looks like the previous owner has moved some brackets around to make room for the Holley he put on there. What I was looking for is pictures of the engine removal brackets that bolt to the motor with the intake bolts. The way mine is now is there are 2 on the motor on either side of the back of the intake. I believe one needs to be moved to the front, drivers side, but haven't seen a real clear shot of that. Also, I believe that there is supposed to be a bracket on the back / drivers side of the engine that holds the 4 wire spark plug seperator, and mine is missing. I have seen pictures of the kick down bracket that goes there, but this car is a 4 spd car and I'm assuming that it would not have come with that. Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

3. Shane

Shane Moderator Staff Member

Mine is an automatic. Not sure if this helps or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Greg73Z28

Those help a little, thanks guys. I'm trying to nail down if there is a difference between an automatic car and stick car. I am assuming that since the drivers rear bracket also contains a kickdown cable, it would be different, and by the looks of the drawings in the assembly manual, I think I am right on that. Just want confirmation. Does anyone have a picture of the motor lift brackets on the passenger side??

5. Greg73Z28

Bump

Here is what I have so far. The GM part number for the bracket is 364685. This bracket is the one that I can see in the pics above and in the drawings in the Assembly Manual and Service Manual. The description that I am reading in various places is that the bracket is for all 350 and 400 CI engines. I am assuming that means that they used the same bracket for Automatic as well as Stick cars, but that seems a bit unusual to me, since this bracket contains a hole for the kick down cable. Surely someone here has a 77 stick car that can verify the bracket that they originally used there. Again, it is the bracket on the drivers side, at the rear of the engine using last 2 intake bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Here is a pic of the bracket

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. llskis

llskis Veteran Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  7. Greg73Z28

If that is all stock, that does help. It sure looks to me like I can see the hole in there for the kickdown cable. My thinking is that by 1977, they were trying to eliminate as much specialized parts as possible, so it would make sense that the bracket is the same for both trannys.

Greg

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is a friends car that bought it new and it's a 4-spd car and has the square hole empty. Zoom in on the pics.

9. llskis

llskis Veteran Member

Greg: It is 100% stock as it came from the factory. Here is another view
    I found that may help. You can barely see that bracket sticking up back and to the right
    of the carb. Larry:bowtie:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013