77 Z28 - New Project

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Greg73Z28, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just acquired a couple project cars, a one owner 77 Z28 and an 82 Pace Car. Will hopefully be posting pics soon. This is my first experience with a big bumper car and I have a quick question. Has anyone here installed one of the repop front lower valance panels? Mine is slightly damaged and the spoiler extensions are missing. I can locate some nos spoilers, but was curious as to how they would line up with the repop panel. This is a black 4 speed car with 60K miles on it (still has the original exhaust including the converter!). Plan on doing a complete frame-off on this one.

Also looking for a carb for this car (170572032 Quad), an air clreaner lid and the air intake hose. if anyone is willing to sell, let me know. Real excited to start this project, hopefully next week.

Thanks in advance.

2. Brown`77Z28

Brown`77Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hi Greg,

Nothing usefull to add but good luck with the`77Z and we all would love to see some pictures from that car :) :p

Best Regards
    Rene

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

keep searching, that stuff come sup. ebay and our swap meet. you can post a WTB (wnated to buy) if you want.

77Z28 of course is a fav of mine, and an 82 pace may be my favorite 3rd gen. I almost bought a mint one right before I bought my 77Z. Is that 82 a q-jet or a CFI car?

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

if your front lower valence is only "slightly" damaged, you should try to fix it before going with a re-pop. Just my 2 cts.

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Project threads with lots of pics!

6. Greg73Z28

It's a crossfire car with the working induction hood. Car is in ok shape, runs pretty good. It has a couple of oil leaks that I'm working on when I have time. Biggest problem on this one is the lack of knowledge I have on the 3rd gens, but I'm learning. Car was reasonable priced, so I took a chance. Will clean it up to a driver quality car, with original parts and enjoy it when I can. I can tell you this, I sure wish there was a site half as good as this one out there for the 3rd gen cars. Can't say enough good things about all the folks here and trust me, I try and promote Nasty wherever I go!

Some of you guys probably saw the 77 on ebay a while back. Part of a bankruptcy deal. Took a chance on it thinking if it was as advertised, it would be a worthy project. I was pleasently surprised when it got here to Missouri. Car was undercoated from the dealership. Just minor surface rust. All floors, trunk, and outer panels will not have to be replaced. Motor is free and no rust in the cylinders. Going to try and fire it up this week just to see if it will. Then I'll tear it down and get it going. Pretty cool car though cause it is a 4 spd car, console delete, radio delete, but has the rear window defrost. Interior is about 95%. Needs a new headliner and rear package tray, and that's really it. As far as the front valance, the drivers side of the center spoiler section has been broken off and is missing about 4 inches. I'll ask my body shop guy if he can fix it.

Never done a progress thread, or posted pics but I will learn and do so. This car is unmolested besides the carb, so if there are any pictures that I can provide anyone before the teardown, just let me know and I'll be glad to get them.

7. Greg73Z28

It's Alive!

Spent a couple of hours on the 77 today and it fired right up! Only thing on the car not working is the rear window defrost and the brakes are pretty weak but other than that everything works incredibly well. Will be starting a progress thread soon. Will start out with a few pics before teardown. Anyone with advice on posting pics, I'm all ears.

8. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

9. Greg73Z28

Test Pics

Here's a couple of pics I shot today after it fired up. Hope this works

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

those are the colors my interior was new.