77 Z28 - Project Second Chance

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Greg73Z28, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Greg73Z28

Greg73Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well, here goes. I have been wanting to start this project for almost 2 years now and it looks as though I'm finally getting the opportunity to start. If you have followed my other threads, you may know that this was coming, but in case you haven't, I'll give a little bit of the back story.

I bought this car, sight unseen out of Connecticut in August of 2010. I was expecting a lot of rust, and a possibly siezed motor, which was not confirmed to be original equipment. When it arrived, I did a quick once over of the vehicle and was pleasantly surprised. While there is a considerable amount of rust, it is all just surface. Floor pans seem solid and the car was undercoated at the dealership. The engine, transmission and rear are all numbers matching. Turns out this car is a one owner vehicle with 60K miles on it. The carb had been changed to a Holley, but no other mods are apparent to the driveline. Even has the original exhaust, emissions equipment and catalytic converter.

At this point, considering what I paid for the car, I considered myself ahead of the curve. Installed a new battery, plugs, fuel and oil, then fogged down the cylinders and let it sit for a couple of days. After slowly turning the engine by hand, I decided to see if it would run. It only took a couple of minutes and the thing fired right up and idled (pretty well too).

At this point, even though this is not my very favorite second gen car, I decided that this would be a good candidate for a frame off. The car has all the documentation including original title, build sheet and even a welcome letter from the dealership to the original owner. This is a 4 speed car with rear defrost and space saver spare. The part I find unusual is that it is a console delete and radio delete car.

I was just getting ready for tear down in the spring of 2011 when our home and cars (including my 73 z28) were destroyed by the May 22nd tornado. Project on hold indefinitely!

Well, here we are almost 2 years later, and the time has arrived. The 73 is almost home from the body shop, so it's time. Since this is my second attempt at a frame off, and 1977 was the second coming of the Z28 - Project Second Chance is out of the gates.

Here is what we are starting with as it sat back in 2010:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a link to my photobucket page. I will download all pics of the car there. Feel free to browse around there, but I will include a lot of pics here as we move along. I'll be adding several posts this weekend hopefully, since some work is done, but I just haven't had the time to start the thread until now.

http://s973.beta.photobucket.com/us...d Chance?&_suid=13549176242400933083452589295

2. 77 rs

77 rs Veteran Member

Have never seen a radio-delete '77 before. Must be only a handfull without one.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Nice! Wow , the inside looks like it is in decent shape/

Look at those 1987-era TA Radials!

4. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

WOw !!!cool dang you lucked out big time , I had a Brown 77Z interior looked exactly like this , no radio either. , with zero options and M21 3:73 .. only had it a 6 months , but I loved the car dearly. One of the ones I wish I had back.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

WOW, WOW, WOW... the interior is still in the wraper. GREAT FIND!!! with lots of unique features and storyline.

Very sad to hear about the tornado. Very glad you have recovered but still that is horrible.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Both my friend and I back in 77 ordered new Z28's and my friend chose not to order a radio or a console, because he wanted to install a non factory radio. Not sure why he didn't want the console except maybe to keep costs down. But I ordered just about everything including A/C. If I was to reorder it I would not order the bumper guards. I didn't know how big they were when I ordered the car. I wish I had kept it since it was my very 1st new car I have ever ordered.
    Very nice car you have to start with. All the best in your restoration.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Ghostof76

Ghostof76 Veteran Member

Devonshire N.Wilmington,De. Hot Rods to Hell (East
    On your front suspension i noticed there are no sub-frame braces. Maybe 77s didn't have them???:bowtie:

8. Greg73Z28

I'm not sure what braces you are talking about. It doesn't appear as though anyone has touched the suspension, but who knows at this point. I will look throught the 77 assebly manual and gm service manual to verify if you can tell me what braces to look for. Are you talking about the braces from the frame to the core support/front bumper area?

9. Greg73Z28

Look at those 1987-era TA Radials![/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to look at the date stamps on those things. The sticker on the windshield indicates that the car last saw the road in 1983. I'm surprised they haven't just crumbled yet. Just need them to hold on a little while longer.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  10. Greg73Z28

Finally got all of the pictures uploaded to the photobucket album so I can start pulling some more over. Started the teardown a couple weeks ago and have a lot of detail pics that I won't bore everyone with here, but again they are in the album if you want to look through them. Here's a few:

Spare tire and accessories were all there

[​IMG]

Drivers Quarter has been replaced at one time I am assuming since it is black on the back side:

[​IMG]

Did some repair to the Valance. Pleased how it turned out:

[​IMG]

Don't know how common it is to find a car of this age with a complete factory exhaust system I think this is cool because when I start this car it sounds and smells exactly like the 79 Z28 I had as my first car. Going to remove this in one piece and try to save it or replicate it as close as possible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]