'78 Big Block to 6.0 Swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Gene'78-LSX, Jul 6, 2015.

1. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

congrats on the baby and good luck with project. i will be starting my swap soon and look like we have a lot of the same questions.

2. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

Holley makes a two stage pump, but I don't think you really need it. This is the pump I use on my Camaro and have used in another EFI BBC set up. It is a dual pump but I have it wired as a single.

Get a pump that will flow enough to double your N/a target hp, good sized lines, properly sized injectors and a decent regulator with a return and you'll be set.

If you start running more than about 10-12psi, several other things are going to start popping up before the fuel system.

Also the XFI can control the fuel pump prime time when you first power, so you don't need to wire a separate switch for the electric pump

3. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

How do I post full size pics? I am new to posting on forums. Anyone...?

4. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

[​IMG]

5. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Are you using photobucket?

6. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

I signed up for shutterfly they provide embeded code as I posted in my previous post or you can get a permalink (link to the photo I guess) All I did was click on insert pic and pasted the embeded code not sure if that's correct or not?

7. FlatPat

FlatPat New Member Lifetime Gold Member

It won't hurt the bigger pump to run it on the street and utilize only a portion of what it puts out. I would run an in-tank pump. They are quieter and the fuel keeps them cool. I think I'm going to use the Tanks Inc stuff on mine but there are ways to get an LS1 fuel module to work in the 2nd gen tank. Vette Works has an adapter to do this. It requires welding which some people are not comfortable with doing on used fuel tanks.

Not sure on what brackets fit since I am not home yet to do some mock ups. I'm sure the answers are lurking about here on NastyZ just have to search for them. From what I understand the low mount AC doesn't fit well with either car or truck spacing. I like the cast look of the Holley brackets, gives them a stock-ish type feel. ICT Billet, LS Simple and Kwik Performance all have backet set ups as well.

8. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

Does anyone know if a truck intake will fit under a factory z28 hood? If yes what engine mounts did you use? I don't want to buy an intake unless i have too.

I am about to pull the trigger on an F-body oil pan I found locally for $200. I noticed that the retro-fit GM pan and holley pan do not allow for a 4" stroke crank but I am not sure about the f-body pan. I found a pan from MAST motorsports that clears up to 4.125 stroke but it's $399 are there any other (cheaper) options that clear a 4" stroke with H-beam rods? (future upgrade) Thanks.

9. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

I ordered a 2010 Camaro water pump and all of my gaskets this weekend. I read that the '10 pump uses the truck damper/belt alignment that came on the LQ9. I plan on ordering the Holley modular bracket system so I can start with the truck setup and then change to the car setup if I need too. What is the preferred water pump for a car belt/accessory setup? Thanks.

10. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Seems like your kinda going the expensive route already, which there's no problem if you have the money or if that's how you just want to go. You really don't NEED to buy the Holley swap kit. You can get adjustable swap plate brackets off eBay for the motor and take the stock auto trans crossmember and turn it 180 degrees for the 4l60e.

Also the truck accessories will work with a car intake, all you'd have to do is dent the tube that runs up from the water pump right under the throttle cable. There's also a few N/a routes you could go. You could get a custom ground cam or I've read a lot of guys run the ms3 cam from Texas speed. But that cam and a set of 243 or 799 heads and you'll be good to go. Or get the top end from an ls3 including cam. There's many different routes you can go. There's a guy on the FB page "Lsx parts sell & trade" selling a complete front accessory kit from a c5 for 600$. If your interested and if he still has it I could get you guys in contact somehow.