'78 Big Block to 6.0 Swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Gene'78-LSX, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

200$ for the pan is cheap and you'll have no problem with it on the 6.0

Also I'm in temple tx and am almost ready to put my swap in my 78 if you need anymore info.

2. Scarebird

Scarebird Member

3. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

I got the f-body pan. It was in great shape and it was even clean! :cool: The main reason that I was looking at the Holley accessory setup was that it would raise the a/c up to clear the cross member bring the power steering pump up and in to clear the steering box and the alternator down to clear the hood. The setup is $286 online plus the install kit $100. I already have the accessories from the extra 5.3l pullout engine. I might be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time but I was thinking it would all work. Some of the other kits I have seen have huge brackets and the accessories mounted really wide. Since I have no idea what kind of room I will have under the hood I am trying to keep them close to the center of the block as I can. Eventually I want to stroke to a 408" and I will change over to a car setup (sfi damper etc.) and I can just change the install plates on the holley kit everything will line up. I don't want to spend a ton of $ but I want it to work. I thought the C5 had the low mount A/C? if it does I would still need the high mount brackets and a car water pump if he is including the damper. If not all I could use would be the accessories which I already have on the 5.3. The LS1 pump at my GM dealer requires some adapter for the water neck due to a part update and a bolt kit which makes it more expensive than the '10 Camaro pump with the truck alignment. My cousin works on cars for a living and he warned me away from aftermarket / rebuilt LS pumps due to his experience with repeat reliability issues. I think I will try the adjustable engine mounts and flip the crossmember. I had forgotten that we went from a TH350 to a 700R4 in my bro's '76 chevy shortbed and the the flip worked on it! I am new to LS engines so I'm sure I'm missing something here... Please correct me if it's obvious:confused: ..I am open to suggestions if it will save $ and work correctly.

Scarebird: I like the kit! As much as I love my M22 I am ready for something with O/D and I don't have the $ for the TKO600 or T56 right now. Since I have a 4L60e it will have to do for now. Please keep the tips coming! Thank you. :bowtie:

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Sounds like you've done some good research so far, I was just trying to give you a quicker more simple route. Also, what made you buy 2 engines? And what driveshaft will you be using?

5. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

Well I wanted a 6.0L for the 4" bore so I could swap to the ls3 heads and intake when I go the 408" route. After looking for about three months and pricing different options I found a running LQ9 on e-bay for $1100 and decided to get it. About a month later on of my friends called and wanted to sell a complete 5.3L with a 4l60e full harness, computer, everything from the air box to the driveshaft for $500. I couldn't pass it up. One of my must haves for this build is is a cold A/C so I have to keep that in mind with the brackets. I have three different second gen driveshafts I will either have one modified to fit or I will just buy a new one. Do you have any recommendations? I am running a 12-bolt rear end.

6. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Ya, you can't pass up that deal for only 500$ but also now you have an extra in case something happens. Also a quick little upgrade you could do that will help later on is getting ls7 lifters an ls2 timing chain, and a new or used ls6 oil pump. The pre 07 ls motors are notorious for those stock parts to go out or dropping a stock lifter. But as far as driveshaft I don't, I think I've read on here that the original th350 driveshaft has to be shortened a little bit to use behind a 4l60e because of the little extra length being that's overdrive.

7. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

Thank you for the tip on the lifters, chain , and pump. I had seen several people posting about ported oil pumps and ls6 pumps etc. If I swap the lifters and lifter trays I might as well do a cam swap while I'm there... Might look up that ms3 cam you were talking about. I wanted to wait for the rebuild because the L99 heads need a split duration cam with extra exhaust duration due to the shrouding of the large exhaust valves. Not sure if the MS3 is for cathedral or rectangle port heads? I have the 814 castings which I have read are similar to the 243(s) (port wise) but they have larger combustion chambers but since it's a LQ9 I have flat top pistons instead of the dished ones in the LQ4 so my compression is a little over 10:1 with the larger chambers. Someone suggested to mill the heads to bump the compression to 11:1 but I'm not too sure how far I can go on pump gas?

I might get lucky, I have a Camaro TH350 shaft that I shortened when I did a swap out of my Bro's '76 chevy short bed p/u. Since it was a truck trans it had the long tailshaft instead of the short car tailshaft I can't remember how much difference it was I believe the TH350 longshaft was the same length as the 700R4 overall they just had different mounting points. I will steal the trans yoke from the 5.3 shaft and then the hunt for conversion u-joints will begin.....:confused:

8. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

You can put the ms3 cam in any LS motor but at the moment I can't remember whether its single bolt or 3 so you may have to do something with the cam sensor or possibly more if your cam bolt is different, so you may want to do some more research on that since I'm not 100% sure. I've seen guys run it in 5.3s. Although its a big cam for a 5.3 they still run it with no issues. Its perfect for a 6.0 and especially your 6.0 sinceits basically an iron block ls3 and yes your right about the heads being similar as the 243 and also the 799 but as the 06 & down had 317s which had bigger combustion chambers you basically have 317&243 heads in one. Those heads you have sell for more than what you paid for that complete 5.3 lol.

Also on the heads I'd leave them be just use ls9 head gaskets. Everybody uses them and they boost compression a little. And that'll save you $ on doing the heads. And if you change timing chains stick with singleroller don't get a double. But yes on the lifters and oil pumps. If you want some really good advice give the people at Texas Speed in Houston a call. Tell them what you have and what you plan to do with the motor and they'll suggest a cam. A lot of guys get custom ground cams for their application BUT have a hard time re selling if they need to get rid of it. But either way you can't go wrong with a ms3 cam it is however not the best daily driver can if those are your intentions but itll make it one hell of a street/strip motor.

As far as the trans you got me, hopefully somebody else can chime in on that part.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. Gene'78-LSX

Gene'78-LSX Member

I apologize I don't know why I was thinking 814 my 6.0 does have 317(s) cathedral port heads. I want to go to the rectangle port LS3 style heads / intake if and when I go 408". Although if my truck intake does not fit under the hood I will probably just go ahead and upgrade. It seems that you can get more power per $ with the big GM heads. The MS3 doesn't seem too big (237-242) but it does ask for a 3500-3800+ converter... It will see more street than strip so I want to keep the power lower in the revs. What do you think about the Comp cams XR275HR?

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1090&sb=2

10. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Well I should of known your 6.0 was no later than 07 when you said your pistons were flat top. 07& up have valve relief style pistons. But anyways keep the 317s and just get a set of ls9 gaskets. As far as a cam I'd give Texas speed a call in Houston or shop around their website. But if you find a comp can you like, such as that one its up to you. There's gotta be some guys on here that'll have recommendations.