78 Camaro Custom Dash

Tom715

May 12, 2019
I'm planning on measuring the dimensions of the dash in the camaro, then heading to the local junkyard to see if I can find a modern dash to fit in it. Anyone done something like this? It would be nice to know ahead of time if there is already one that fits.

CDesperado

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 1, 2004
Dallas Texas
I've seen some custom dashes, and it seems like someone took a dash out of a semi-modern Dodge and heavily modified it to make it fit. Not sure if I have pics of that, but I will look.

Tom715

May 12, 2019
Cool. Just to give some background, in my younger years I was a custom car builder and have built many custom dashes, door panels, etc. I'm well aware that there will be fitment issues in virtually any modern dash I choose. Depth of dash being the biggest one (face to firewall) windshield curvature, steering column height, door panel blending, console/driveshaft hump etc. This post is mostly to see if anyone has used one with the correct width (left to right) and looking for ideas begore I hit the junkyard with a tape measure. Also, I am only looking for Aesthetics, not making the electronics work. I can handle that down the road (pun intended)

Stelan

Mar 20, 2020
I'm doing a custom dash inspired on old corvette dash, I will make molds and splash it out of cf or fb
upload_2020-4-3_21-2-49.jpeg

It will use all aftermarket gauges and switches, (nothing original as I want to simplify and modernize it all, will not have ac controls or ac vents, not even heather vents but that grill on the center portion can be used for blowing air out of it, I'm planning on having a speaker there myself, I used to make porsche bodies so fiberglass for me is easy but maybe wrap it in carbon fiber or leather with the red stitching as shown would be better looking