79 camaro LS requirements

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Sir 4 speed, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Sir 4 speed

Sir 4 speed Veteran Member

Ive got my 79 z28 and while i love the good ole carb sbc the simplicity and reliability of the LS engine makes me want to do that sway. Easy to make alot of power from them too, also they are everywhere. My question is what is needed for the swap. I know the harness and motor mounts hut what about oil pan?( maybe 4th gen ls1 pan?)
    --Clutch setup? being the LS engines dont have a zbar setup
    --mounting a super t10 to the ls engine?
    I have more questions on what it will take but these are the main concerns

2. SEADave

SEADave New Member

You can definitely keep your super T-10 with an LS. That's what I plan to do with my 81 Trans Am. There is a huge thread about it on the LS1 Tech site but the skinny is to use a Sachs 1050 flywheel with the standard SBC/BBC bellhousing and clutch. Some aftermarket bells have a mount for the z-bar pivot, or you can get an adapter from SDPD. There is a lot more to it but they go through all of it in that thread.

3. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

I have a Z bar set up behind my LS-7 with a TKO 600 Their is pictures of my set up under DB Z28 the Make over. I used the SDSP adapter and clearance the Block to make it work . But I used the Holley mounts which moved the engine over one inch to the drivers side.

4. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

This is good info, thanks. I'm not actively pursuing an LS swap right now, but definitely could be if I stumble onto a cheap truck motor, and would much rather keep my mechanical clutch with the TKO.