79 Dash pad install question

Dan Starnes

Aug 3, 2022
I’ve got the assembly manual, but it doesn’t show how the left ( drivers side ) dash pad fastens at the top. It’s been 6 years since I took mine apart. Did it fasten to the dash with double sided tape? I’ve got the 3 funky clips attached to the middle and right side, but I’ve forgotten how the left side fastens.

aviator2007

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2020
Denver
I think it attaches the way all across the dash with the same clips but there may not be the same number on each side. There are others here with more experience with these cars than me.

Dan Starnes

Aug 3, 2022
My memory is there are only 3 of those funky clips. The drivers side isn’t setting down like I want. Perhaps it’s warped. Original pad, owned the car since 1980. Got totalled in a flash flood in 2015 and I’ve been redoing it since then. Flood cars are a pain, but not as bad as fire cars. Ive rebuilt totalled cars and restored cars most of my life.

Dan Starnes

Aug 3, 2022
Tadaaaaa!! Trying to run a self tapping screw through the underside only chipped away at the old plastic. So thinking that would give me a good surface to apply some JB weld there. Then I took a small round headed bolt and ground it flat to match a small washer, thinking this would give me a small stud pointing down. Then I once again used JB Weld go mate those two. Waited for both applications to cure 24 hours and just put the nut on. Ended up being perfect. Now onto sound deadening on the floor and carpet. Thanks all for the help.

Latest posts