79 Power/st and A/C

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by SteveUK, Feb 4, 2020.

1. SteveUK

SteveUK Member

Hi there, I think im missing a belt from the power steering (looks like there should be two) which is causing the single belt to slip once over half lock, my A/C cluth bearings are worn and grumble when spun, someone has removed the belt that looks as if it drive the A/C and assists the existing belt on the P/S.
    if this is right, can I just buy a smaller belt (as for a car with no A/C)
    Also can you buy just the cluch part of the A/C pump.
    any help would be great.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, the second belt drives both the A/C compressor and the Power Steering pump.
    You may be able to add a non-A/C PS belt which mates with the crank and PS pulleys.
    (It could be that your single belt is worn. Non-A/C cars only used a single belt for the power steering drive.)
    I would replace that belt with a good quality one before messing around with anything else

Yes, a replacement clutch can be purchased but it's probably the bearing which is growling.
    (The bearing is also available.)
    It may take some special tools to replace those items.

Replacement Compressors (with clutch) are also still available, if you're considering making the A/C functional again.
    (Don't know if R12 is available across the pond but R134 conversions can also be performed.)

3. SteveUK

SteveUK Member

thanks once again for a full and very helpful reply, forums like this certainly make ownership of these cars a lot easier for us "pommies" cheers