79 street/strip/corner carver

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by SR79, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

SR79, Thank you for the link. I'll attend and talk to some of the participants. Also, may take one of those rides too.
    If you are ever going to be in the Oklahoma area, send me a message, or post it here. I'll be keeping an eye on it now that I am watching this thread. Do you mind if I ask questions here from time to time?
    Thanks,
    ZRodder
    1977 Z-28 Resto Project
    http://nastyz28.com/threads/ragged-out-77-z-28-restore-mission.273495/page-3

2. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Congrats, man. Nice work. I love that you're pounding on that thing.

I just started playing with RaceRender too. And dipping my toe in the autocross waters with my wrong wheel drive...

3. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Thanks! Those are actually new, don't know that I talked about them. They are made out of lexan from Lowe's, based on the idea of the old GTS tinted blackout covers. They are held in with aluminum tabs that are riveted and/or panel bonded into the bezels.

We've actually been talking about running with OKC, but it looks like the rest of the events this year line up with the Texas club's. And, happy to help with anything I can, ask away!

Dude, I am in awe of your ability to make 3 cameras work at the same time! Threatened to burn my one GoPro a few times this year. Nicely done, and it looks like a fun car. I started out autocrossing in a Scion tC, FWD isn't all bad.

And, so this isn't completely without some car-related content, finally got some decent headlights to go in this sucker!

[​IMG]

4. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

woody80z28, Great show.

Say, I'm old enough, but how about the kid. What is the age limit for entering an autocross?
    Also, are there any Kart autocross races?

Thanks for your feedback,
    ZRodder

5. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Most regions require a learners' permit and parent in the car to drive an actual car. There is a full karting program through the SCCA that can start them very young.

6. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

7. ZRODDER

ZRODDER Member

Thanks, I hit the local kart track here. They were holding kart racing events there in the past. It's a 7/10s of a mile track. Oklahoma motorsports park.

8. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

New year - new update.

So the last few months of 2018 were a blur, with a last minute decision to haul up to Road America and fight for the Optima GTV season points.

Traveling to this huge, historic track helped motivate us to try an idea that had been floating around for a bit on the spoiler.

[​IMG]
    New in front, old underneath

[​IMG]
    Better looks (in our minds at least), 4 positions of adjustability, and less drag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Final painted and in position

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also took the opportunity to update the front end. Light is good

[​IMG]
    Alignment and corner weights checked, ready for battle​

We passed through the parking lot at Road America on Power Tour in 2004. I told myself then someday we would go back to run it, having never even done an autocross. It was surreal to pull in the gate knowing we were there to race.

[​IMG]
    Cold. Surreal and cold..

[​IMG]
    Mixing it up with these two spectacular cars, incredible drivers, and all-around cool people was a highlight of the year for sure

[​IMG]
    We had a big group of familiar faces, and took in the local sights at night..

[​IMG]
    The autocross was tight and slick. We were in a great spot after the morning, but fell down the order in the afternoon

[​IMG]
    RA is F - A - S - T and beautiful in the fall

[​IMG]
    Yeah, real fast.​

In the end, we finished third in class, but bettered our score from Barber earlier in the year and locked up the GTV points championship. Still hard to believe..

Once we made it home from Road America, it set in that in mere weeks it would be time to turn around and haul to Las Vegas for the Invitational.

[​IMG]
    War paint: Activate

To be continued..

woody80z28 and John Wright like this.
  9. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like tons of fun!! Nice work!!

10. simso

simso Veteran Member

What colour red is that?

Steve