79 Z-28 died while driving and will not start

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Glad you found it!

When checking for spark... It should be a hot blue/white spark and not yellow/orange.

Years ago... I had a distributor which kept frying ignition modules every few months.
When they failed, it was usually on the first startup and I got NO spark.

I finally replaced the entire distributor with a billet ebay unit (for about $50) and have only lost one ignition module in the past decade.

Now, I keep a spare ignition module in my car.

Bandit723

Veteran Member
Oct 1, 2016
Waupaca WI
It was the ignition module!! Through process of elimination I went thru all the distributor. Replaced the HEI coil and it still wouldn't start, ran down to parts store and bought a module and "Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Mam" it fired up and runs like it has never ran in the 3 months I've owned it! Fires up with the tap of the key! Don't even have to pump the gas like I used to. Thanks for all the advice all, appreciative! :D
Glad you were able to get it fixed!

1975RS

Oct 19, 2018
Glad you found it!

When checking for spark... It should be a hot blue/white spark and not yellow/orange.

Years ago... I had a distributor which kept frying ignition modules every few months.
When they failed, it was usually on the first startup and I got NO spark.

I finally replaced the entire distributor with a billet ebay unit (for about $50) and have only lost one ignition module in the past decade.

Now, I keep a spare ignition module in my car.
Wow! I’m an ole man and still learning. Couldn’t a done it without this forum. Great forum!! Appreciate all you guys. Thanks.

berg2695

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2011
Great news! Enjoy your car. I assume the new module came with some heat sink compound to put on the base before screwing it down. It is needed for a long and happy life for the new module.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
It was the ignition module!! Through process of elimination I went thru all the distributor. Replaced the HEI coil and it still wouldn't start, ran down to parts store and bought a module and "Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Mam" it fired up and runs like it has never ran in the 3 months I've owned it! Fires up with the tap of the key! Don't even have to pump the gas like I used to. Thanks for all the advice all, appreciative! :D
Congrats on the fix. Hence my comment on “strong” spark in a previous post. And explains why your timing light didn’t flash.

1975RS

Oct 19, 2018
I recently installed a new DUI HEI distributor. Can I use a standard GM ignition module in a pinch if this one fails?
Yes, don’t see why not. Of course, I’ve not really tested this one very long. If I have issues I’ll let you know. But I think original eq. Mfg. is the way to go. Besides my motors bone stock as it was in 1979, all original hence keeping it GM or AC Delco whenever I’m able.

Latest posts