79 Z28 aquired

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Steves81Z28, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Steves81Z28

Steves81Z28 Veteran Member

Haven't updated in awhile. I have crappy news! Finally got the engine timed right and had trouble chasing down bad valve adjustments. Finally got all that sorted out, she was purring like a kitten...until a dang rod broke and punched a hole in my nice oil pan. I'm so pissed at myself for not going ahead like I was going to do and have the whole thing rebuilt at a local place here. Being it had such good compression I really thought I could get away with just replacing the bearings and seals and not removing the heads and pistons. Well that bit me! It's not the two or three hundred bucks I've blew its the dang time I have wasted. Well you live and learn. All I'm hoping now is the block is ok. I have a feeling it's not because I saw oil and antifreeze from the oil pan hole. If it's not then there goes the number matching car. Then I guess I'm free to put some more power in it I guess. Very frustrated at myself right now that's for sure.

2. Steves81Z28

Been a while getting all of this sorted out. Sent engine for a complete rebuild and they saved the block. Meanwhile my F350 transmission broke so I had to have it rebuilt and put it back in, what a month! Now the 350 is back in and running great, old radiator busted so it has a new one. Figured my choke out after having problems, installed the Y pipe and CC. Installed the inner fenders and bumper so it looks like a car again. Started some interior work, repaired the busted part of the dash, I think it turned out well. Steering wheel had 20 years of grime on it but it came pretty clean. More later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. camaro6662

camaro6662 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

great find and progress

4. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Very, very nice work. Keep at it and when it's done you'll forget about all the obstacles that happened along the way.

5. Steves81Z28

Started cleaning up the engine compartment wiring and hoses. Replacing all vacuum hoses,didn't have enough of course so I started a little interior work. Glad to be at this point. Dash is repaired as I have said and is almost 100 percent back together. All bulbs have been changed and all of the gauges are now working. Only thing I haven't done is figure out what to do about the shape my bezel is in. Need to figure something out, it need's restoring bad. Well more later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's really beautiful work.

Your going to have quite a show piece.

I never see any nice second gens on the road anymore.

Hats off to you for keeping the original motor stock . So few left.:)

7. Steves81Z28

It's all stock but they did put a slightly different cam in. The RV cam as I call it.

8. steveWFL

steveWFL Veteran Member

Nice!

9. Steves81Z28

Thanks y'all. I'm hoping carpet today.

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Wow, I love it. I like original too. Looks good, cant wait to see more progress.