79 Z28 cragar question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by defiant1, Jul 8, 2013.

1. defiant1

defiant1 Member

Hey everyone, I have a 79 Z28 and was wanting to run Cragar SS 15x10 5.5 bs and 15x8 4.5 bs. I am wanting to run 235/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rear. Now with all of the forum post reading I have decided it will work fine with a few issues that happen in the rear wheel well. hopefully no big deal.
    I called Cragar and they said they could make me a 15x10 5.5 bs no problem but that it would take roughly 3 weeks, no big thing either. I like the nostalgic, meat on the tires look. but my favorite is the pro touring type of setup, may lean that direction in a couple of years. Is there anyone currently running this combo, or similar ? love to see some pics.
    My car in its current configuration and no I am not sure I want to mess with it. It is having my 377 installed right now, cant wait to drive it.
    [​IMG]

This was my car when I bought it two years ago. I still have the wheels and tires, could be for sale to.... now on the other hand I could buy two 15x10 in this style with two rear tires and be done, what do you think of the daises or coke bottles, kinda depends when you were born I guess. I do not think I have seen a 15x8 and 15x10 combo with these wheels, could be different I guess.[​IMG]

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am not a fan of the daisies. I love the look of the color keyed Z wheels, but I hate how the Z wheels are only a 15x7, limiting the width tire that will fit and handle properly. My idea: have a shop widen a pair of Z wheels for the rear, and paint them body color, to let you put a wide tire on, and keep a stock-ish appearance.

3. defiant1

defiant1 Member

I have considered that actually, sure hate to ruin my factory z wheels. On the other hand chrome looks great with red...

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah wheels are a very personal preference, whatever you like, do it. If you wanted to get a set of widened wheels, I would pick up 2 loose used Z wheels and have those widened, and keep the stockers.

5. Z-WIZZ

Z-WIZZ Veteran Member

^^yes to above^^you may not need a 10" rear for 275s a 9" (or even 8") would do...btw, love the daisies

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  6. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice looking 79.

7. defiant1

defiant1 Member

I am not a big fan of daises either, hence they came off of the asap after I bought it. I really like the pro touring cars but that takes lots of cash. My next project after the motor is finished and new rear gears, I am going to get the interior about 95% complete. The inside is actually pretty good, just needed a new package tray, headliner, and rear seat panels redone.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You can an 8 " wheel on all four corner on a second gen Camaro. There are various wheel companies out there ,that make stock appearing 16`s to 18`s wheel. If that is the look you want. My 79 Z-28 was a red car as wheel.Mine had Appliance 15 x 7 turbine wheels on it with 235/G6015 Goodrich tires on all four corners. Just drive of what you have at the time. And when you have the money , just go pick up the wheel /tire combo you want.

9. ctchap70

ctchap70 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have 15X7 & 15X8 on my 81 Z28. 235/60 on front 275/60 on rear.
    [​IMG]