79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It's been another looooong minute since I posted anything. Things have been slow going since I had been working and it's been well over 100 degrees here for the past few months. But now since I'm not working anymore and the temps dropped into the 90s I've been making some progress on project Fresh Start. A lot of things I've been doing really haven't been the big ticket items worth posting. Sometimes I spend several hours in the garage and look around when I'm done and say what the hell did I get done today? It looks like I did nothing all day...lol. But I've gotten some major items crossed off the list since Labor day.

#1 The motor and tranny are in!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's funny how all your friends let you know that they want to help and tell you to call them when you need a hand, but when you call for help to drop in a motor everybody is busy...lol. I got it in by myself with no problems. The only issue I had was with the transmission mounting bracket. I attached it to the tranny before I put it in but the stud wouldn't clear the cross member. The tranny was hitting the tunnel and I couldn't raise it anymore. I had to take the mount of the tranny and bolt it to the crossmember, then the tranny slid back nice and easy. Once I got the motor mounts lined up and the bolts in, the tranny mount lined up with the tranny and the bolts went right in.

#2 Dash is in!

This took some time and planning to make sure everything was in place on the dash before it went in once and for all. I had it in but had to take it out because the glove box couldn't go in after all the ductwork for the heat and A/C was in place. I only took one pic of the back of the dash which pisses me off but oh well, I'm not taking it back out just to take pictures...lol
    I used the original gauge bezel and repainted it and trimmed it with a silver paint pen. I'm not sure I like it and may end up replacing it but I don't know yet. The light switch and knob, and cigarette lighter element and heating element are new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new heater control face looks great! And the panels still don't line up just like when it came from the factory...lol

[​IMG]

#3 Upholstery is done!

This is a another area where I know someone who was able to help me out. He owns an upholstery shop and charged me about half what another shop wanted to charge me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Carpet went in today!

I've had the interior pieces for months, probably since the car was at the painter. The stuff has been crowding my garage, living room, and spare bedroom forever! I'm finally getting it installed and out of my house...lol. The carpet looks good. It's over sized and needed to be trimmed around the edges and under the console for the floor shifter. It was really easy and looks great! The console and shifter are in for a test fit, I still have to hook up the transmission cable and get a new shift plate and MAYBE a console. The original one is in surprisingly good shape but has a few rips in it. I painted it today to see how it would look and the verdict is still out. If I do get a new one, I know I'll get a good penny for this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was getting ready to put all the interior panels in but realized I still need to run wire for rear speakers. I placed an order for a new Retrosound radio and rear speakers that should get here Saturday or Monday. Once they get here I'll start putting in those panels. Weatherstripping is on it's way too. The headliner and T-top trim will go in after the weatherstripping is in place. Then it's all mechanical from that point. Gotta finish wiring up the motor, hook up the tranny, install the A/C components, get the brakes hooked up and bled, put the fenders and front end on, get a true duel cat exhaust made, and fire her up! That shouldn't take long...LOL!!!

80sz, roadrace2 and mrfleet12 like this.
  2. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Well , its about time :crazy:
    Coming along sweet. I have the same car but couldn't put myself to put that blue in the interior so I opted to go with the 81 dark blue. Where did you get the A/C bezel?

3. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It is about time right? LOL
    When I ordered the upholstery I ordered the package tray with it. They messed it up because the tray is dark blue and the flap that goes behind the seat is the correct light blue. I have no idea what made then think someone wanted a two tone package tray...LOL After seeing the dark blue I like it better but I'm going back to all original with this car so I went with the light blue.
    Are you referring to the A/C vents? If so I got the side vents from Classic Industries, the lower left lap vent I found on eBay, the lower right lap vent is original, and the center vents are original.

serpent710 likes this.
  4. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

sorry, I was talking about the a/c control head

5. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

The controls are original. I replaced the mounting plate from Classic Industries and the lens is from eBay. The lens came with the black backing. I have new chrome knobs from Camaro Central that I haven't put on yet.

serpent710 likes this.
  6. simso

simso Veteran Member

Trying to look at your paint, is it painted now or just the window jambs?

Steve

7. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It’s all painted. I posted pictures on pages 8 and 9 of it getting painted.

8. simso

simso Veteran Member

Haha, yeh i just relooked at your pictures, i thought you had painted it blue as per top photo on this page where you are putting the engine in, turns out zooming in, thats blue tape

9. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Lol. I can see the confusion.

simso likes this.
  10. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I got my radio, speakers, and weather stripping delivered today. I put the front seats together yesterday. Still waiting to hear back from the interior company about the package tray the screwed up. I can't mount the speakers or put in the rear trim without it.